My First Hunt In The Iron

NJ Art

Spending as much time as I could testing the Manticore before I jumped into the iron helped me understand the new detector. I wanted it to sound like my Whites DFX and took the Whites MX7 two channel audio on ferrous and non ferrous and applied it to my settings. I do not want to hear iron in the middle of the iron footprint of a homestead. What I noticed and later tested is that the Manticore reacts the same as my DFX, MXT, MX7 to say iron rings, cannon balls, axes, square iron buckles etc. as good target. I could tell they were iron because of the strength of the signal, if not overloading including the pitch and strength of the signal when lifting the coil. I'm very happy with this because I would hate to leave a cannon ball behind, love finding them. So with the ferrous volume at 1 and pitch at 1 there were the small churps and such but on a lower hearing level and the 2d mapping was a reassurance, the non ferrous targets stood right out to me. I also tested the Manticore with a six inch spike, a crusty nail and a silver dime in the middle. I had no problems detecting the dime within an inch and 3/4, recovery speed at 4 & 5. My finds after hunting 12 hours on a pounded site with the 11 inch coil. Many of the targets were accompanied with multiple iron nails and such. Not shown are many pieces of lead with all the smalls. Extremely happy with this detector, I wont be parting with it.

1st hunt.jpg

• The title was changed to My First Hunt In The Iron

This might be the best testament I've ever read on the Manticore.

When you say the site was pounded ... did you find areas that had been 'missed' by other detectors?  Maybe they would have been missed by others because of the iron fatigue on the ears.

What 'better' things did you find on this site in years past?  Were there some bigger coins or mostly more of the same as you found in this 12 hours?

My hunts consisted of 2 five hour hunts and on the last day a few hours that turned up 3 buttons and lead, all in the iron. Two deep signals were the brass buckle at around 18 to 20  inches wow, and the broken brass spike at about 16 inches.  This was two weeks ago and I did not have time to post. I hit this site many times through the years and found a few coppers and large cents and they were in the surrounding field, a few buttons and smalls always turned up. I have a friend that I met and now hunt with that had been hitting this site years before me with others. I actually met him on an adjacent field and we have hunted together many times since. He scored big from what he told me. I spent many hours in that iron with other detectors and always would find a few buttons and smalls but nothing like this. I have been on another site since and pulled 27 buttons and smalls from the iron, seems repetitive to me still shaking my head. Cant wait for my better fields to open as the soy is still coming down. Art

Sounds like you're having a blast with your new toy Art. I would love to have access to places like you describe. I am also being amazed at the depth of some of the coins I'm finding at the beach. This machine can go deep for sure. Good luck in the soy fields.👍

3 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Sounds like you're having a blast with your new toy Art. I would love to have access to places like you describe. I am also being amazed at the depth of some of the coins I'm finding at the beach. This machine can go deep for sure. Good luck in the soy fields.👍

Thanks Brad,  find them Spanish cobs.