What Is The Technical Difference Between Discrimination And Notch?

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

As one of those old timers let me clarify that. It is not so much depth that is limited but the ability to detect the target, which can be perceived as the same thing.

All true. What I was talking about was the problem of old analog discriminators. Where setting the discriminator to reject pull tabs might reduce the depth on silver quarters by half even though they are no where close to the disc cut-off. It was well-known back then that to maximize depth, turn the disc as low as possible.

Digital designs don't have that problem, but they do have the problem you bring up. Every disc or notch setting can have (and probably does have) a "brick wall" cut-off. With digital discrimination it's a none-or-all situation, unlike analog disc where it's a none-or-a-lot-less situation. With digital disc, a bad target right on the edge of the disc setting will get broken up, but so will a good target just on the other side of the edge.

Like you, I prefer to use no disc and listen to tones. I also prefer mixed-mode where I can hear the AM signal at the same time. Makes for busy audio but you get used to it, and I think it is actually easier to listen to than a bunch of broken up crackling made by a digital discriminator.

Two thumbs up for mixed mode and tones only! I guess it comes down to the difference between those that see the audio feedback as noise and those of us who hear the machine talking to us. I hate gagging my little buddy since he might not tell me something I want to know. :smile:

The Excalibur was deadly because it had no meter and so forced the user to learn full tone detecting. The 17 tones soon meld into a few, with that sweet jewelry tone stopping the experienced hunters up short. Unfortunately it and its users were too good, and they cleaned out a lot of what was out there before it came along.

8 hours ago, Geotech said:

This is called "surface blanking." It has been featured on a few detectors but I don't recall the specific models. Garrett did it years ago, and I think either Compass or Discovery as well.

I guess it didn't work out to well, then.

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Two thumbs up for mixed mode and tones only! I guess it comes down to the difference between those that see the audio feedback as noise and those of us who hear the machine talking to us. I hate gagging my little buddy since he might not tell me something I want to know. :smile:

The Excalibur was deadly because it had no meter and so forced the user to learn full tone detecting. The 17 tones soon meld into a few, with that sweet jewelry tone stopping the experienced hunters up short. Unfortunately it and its users were too good, and they cleaned out a lot of what was out there before it came along.

I had a Manticore... for about a month.  I've owned a Deus for 7 seasons now, and found that with the Manticore, I was constantly checking the screen to read the TID.  About the only time I check the screen on the Deus is when I already know that I've got a pretty good target. 

It dawned on me the other day that the Deus audio is almost like tapping drywall to locate the studs... you can hear the tinniness of aluminum vs the solidness of a nice, thick brass artifact.  I did not have that with the Manticore.  I sold it.

I've used the Nox for 5 seasons and when I got the the Deus 2, I felt it sounded like crap 😅
It's very likely a "got used to" thing. It takes some time to learn the machine's "language". On some machines a lot can be done with settings - so my Deus now sounds very "Minelabbish".. 🤫