My Gold Finds Have Changed Over The Years

Nedkelly

8 hours ago, Aureous said:

Yeah, fair enuff....I'm the same with QLD. Never been there but wanna get it off my chest. Detected in every state except QLD and TAS....'spose I'll get to Tassie one day too. 

Word has always been that the SD's allowed for the deepest detection for big gold. The latest 2200 mods allow for both a low frequency and a latent timing change...couple that with the 'Deep' audio and some large coils and you have something that equals or beats the 7000. A lot of experimentation is needed to select the right coils for the task. Think I'll build my own test patch for that. Fun times ahead for 2024.

Yeah, i rang Woody from detector mods and asked him what was the best detector to mod for larger deeper gold and he said the SD2200. I started looking for a good SD2200 for sale and came across a 45000 serial# SD2200 that was already fully modded by Woody. After talking to the seller a few times over the phone I snapped it up for $1700. It was a bargain really considering the price of the mods and the accessories included. 5 coils including 2 large scarab coils that I've never heard of before or since for that matter. Boosters, headphones,a shingleback backpack and a few other odds and ends. I added a coiltek regulated 7.3 volt battery system and a SP01 enhancer. I've only used it a few times with the coiltek DD 14" pro coil and found a couple of nice solid 2 to 3 grammers. I'll have to dust it off, put a big coil on it and have a crack. I'm thinking a large DD to start with, maybe my coiltek 18" dd pro. Haven't tried the nuggetfinder 25" ddx on it yet so it'll get a run early one morning when I'm still fresh. Takes a bit of swinging, I only last 2 or 3 hours then swap for something a bit smaller. 

Wow NK, quite a bargain! Lotsa goodies there for the $$. The PMC Scarab coils are a bit weighty but punch deep and very robust. The skid plates never wear out lol. The whole kit would benefit from a good suspension system with a hip stick and swing arm. Might be worth sending the 2200 back to Woody or Mick to get the latest mods done if it was done more than 2 years ago. Quite a lot has changed I hear...

6 minutes ago, Aureous said:

Wow NK, quite a bargain! Lotsa goodies there for the $$. The PMC Scarab coils are a bit weighty but punch deep and very robust. The skid plates never wear out lol. The whole kit would benefit from a good suspension system with a hip stick and swing arm. Might be worth sending the 2200 back to Woody or Mick to get the latest mods done if it was done more than 2 years ago. Quite a lot has changed I hear...

Yeah OK, might be worth looking into as it would easily be 2 years since it was done. I've had it over 2 years myself. 

On 11/28/2023 at 6:21 PM, Nedkelly said:

Yeah OK, might be worth looking into as it would easily be 2 years since it was done. I've had it over 2 years myself. 

If you're on FB, it might be worth joining a group called 'modded detectors and gadgets Australia'. Lots of advice direct from dozens of users. They mostly seem to suggest that Mick from Detectronics has the edge with new mods these days. 👍