Vacation Beach Detecting Tools And Advice

donP

On 12/9/2023 at 7:39 PM, donP said:

Hello all, going to Hawaii for vacation. I Want to take my Equinox 800, need a collapsible shaft or purchase a 900? . What's a really nice durable scoop to travel with and be able to put in my luggage? We typically take carry-on luggage. How do the hotels feel about metal detectorists on their beaches? Any other advice regarding airlines, laws, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

I travel often and just pack my 800/900 in my checked bag. I pad everything carefully and put a hood over the control pod so the machine doesn't accidentally turn on in route. The 900 is easier to collapse, but, the 800 comes apart just fine too. As mentioned, carry whatever tools you need. I also carry spares of all sorts of things, like extra coil bolts, washers, zip ties, electrical tape, etc. I use an old Stealth 920ix scoop and a SteveG travel carbon fiber shaft. It fits in my suitcase too. I doubt the airline would allow you to take it in your carry-on anyway, but, I haven't actually tried.

I haven't been able to contact Sunspot lately (who makes the Stealth scoops), so, I'd go with Extreme scoops for something that works good and is heavy duty. They make a titanium version too if weight is a factor. If that isn't in the budget, a simple two part aluminum one will work, but, the baskets are generally pretty small, harder to push into wet sand, and the aluminum shaft will make your hands black unless you wrap the shaft with tape or similar. Also, coat the joint between upper and lower shaft section with some anti-seize compound so the two sections don't corrode together.

I've never had an issue with public Hawaii beaches, although some locals can get a bit territorial at times (like Waikiki and some others). Some resorts have their own lagoon and adjoining beach. They make their own rules there, so, you'd have to check with them. If you're staying at one, I'd check first. If you have a car, you can always travel to a different beach however. If you're going into the water, I'd wear booties (I like a hard sole to make it easier on my foot pushing the scoop into the sand, and for walking in coral, broken shells, rocks, etc.), a UV long sleeve shirt, a hat, sunscreen, water finds pouch, drinking water, and gloves. I don't take anything in the water with me except for my door key, which I put in my finds pouch. I do tether my pin pointer to my belt to keep it from popping out and getting lost. I don't tether my scoop or detector to me for safety reasons. I just hold on to them firmly. Another no-no IMO is wearing waders in the surf. Those can be very dangerous if you get knocked over and those things fill with water. No treasure is worth drowning for. Have fun!

• Like 1

I just arrived Cancun, MX from US and feel the Hawaiian Islands would be the same for rules.

1st off, take the detector you know best.  Trying to learn a new one during the vacation is not wise. 

I carried one Manticore in my backpack on the plane and had no issues with Security or Customs on this trip.  I also put a backup detector in my checked luggage.  Never had a problem doing it yet no matter rules.

As for scoop, yes a 2 piece traveler is a must.  Carbon-Fiber shafts and aluminum or stainless bucket. Don't go big scoop thinking you'll remove more sand faster,  you're arm will fall off after a few days. Big scoops of heavy wet sand...not me anymore, made that mistake 10 yrs ago. The scoop needs to go into checked luggage under plane as well. 

Tools, be sure they are in your checked in luggage as well. Needle nose pliers, wrenches, Leatherman, pocket knife,  screwdrivers, even metal tweezers can get confiscated...could be weapons. I just gave away my military P-38??? Are you kidding me. They must of thought I was going to open a can of whoop-ass while on the plane.

Beaches, Public beaches are usually open and International Coastal Waterway allows you the right. That does not mean some ahole local or Security doesn't try to chase you off.  If so, best leave for another section.  I've been threatened by Security in MX, Bahamas and Italy. Yes I was in the right...but I'm a visitor to that country. 

I have had many issues with man-made coves along the coast.  It's usually higher end resorts and they built the coves for calmer waters for the paying guests. It's kind of Private at that point and unless you're staying there at the resort. Do they allow metal detectors? I know a local in Hawaii and he says a couple resort coves are off limits. 

Be sure to wear a mess bottom pouch that has two separate pockets.  One for trash and smaller one for treasures. 

Keep us posted of your success. 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2023 at 1:39 PM, donP said:

I Want to take my Equinox 800, need a collapsible shaft or purchase a 900?

The Nox 800 with 2 coils (14x9 and 10x5) fit inside a GoFind carry bag. This long thin bag (or similar like a canvas tent bag) is long enough to hold the stock shafts.. It also holds a pinpointer, charging cables, headphones and a WM08.. 

I always carry it on as hand luggage.. At some airports they'll pull your bag to the side for a closer look, at others like my local airport they see metal detectors go through all the time and let it pass.. On board the bag is easy to stash at the back of the overhead holds and doesn't freak out aircrew or fellow passengers..  

I've had a few times where the people at the xray machine guessed what it was and told me before I had to explain.. When I do have to explain, I've never had airport security take my detector off me.. I've always boarded the aircraft with it..  

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for all the advice! I was thinking about buying a 900 just because, stock it's collapsible, the newest detector and will serve a better purpose? Or try to find a nice collapsible shaft for my 800. I believe the battery lasted longer on the 900? The charging cable on the 800 is a bummer as it's a special cable, is the 900 a usb c or something I can easily find? I guess that's Minelab though.

• Like 2

I'm going to Honolulu, so it looks like Waikiki Beach etc.. We went to Maui 2 years ago and the locals were hit and miss in the friendly department. I completely understand the frustration right now though. I did not know there was such a learning curve between the 900 and the 800. After looking at the sites for the collapsible shafts, they look awesome. After looking at carbon, fiber, shaft prices, I may just take my stock one. As for a scoop, I believe I have a stealth scoop in the toy hauler storage, I bought it about five years ago when I got a wild hair to go beach detecting. I'm a desert rat and when we're down at Laguna, I take it out to do a little detecting with the 800 I didn't know that I could put a carbon fiber handle on it, right now there's a wood handle. As you can tell, I don't get out to the ocean or beach as much as I'd like. I know my GPZ 7000 like the back of my hand. I wish I could go out and do my prospecting/detecting as much as you guys on this forum. But for now I live vicariously through all your posts. As the railroad does not allow us to take any time off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, donP said:

Wow, thanks for all the advice! I was thinking about buying a 900 just because, stock it's collapsible, the newest detector and will serve a better purpose? Or try to find a nice collapsible shaft for my 800. I believe the battery lasted longer on the 900? The charging cable on the 800 is a bummer as it's a special cable, is the 900 a usb c or something I can easily find? I guess that's Minelab though.

The charge cable is exactly the same on X-Terra Pro, EQ-600, EQ-700, 800, 900 and Manticore. I recommend to all my customers to also get the Minelab accessory Charger pack. It plugs into regular outlets and the back has room for 4 USB ports and are high capacity. 

If you get the EQ-900, it also has upgraded flexible quick release arm cuff, better wireless headphones, better waterproofing, vibrate handle for dirty water and comes with 2 coils.  It's really not much different than EQ-800 on the layout and functions. The digital numbers are twice as many. It's more accurate, but because of 2X the numbers, the readout jumps around on iffy and deeper targets.  I use my ears and tones myself.

• Like 1

Update...so I'm not going to try and reinvent the wheel, I'm going to take my 800. Found out I do have a Stealth scoop. Dug it out from the bowels of the toy hauler. Ordered the 2 Piece handle for it from Steve G. Great guy! I also bought the 3 piece Counter weight 800 shaft. Steve H. Pelican 1615 Case looks good? Gerry I just saw you post from Mexico and I realized I have a Pair of those Headphones made custom a coupe of years ago and had a light bulb moment when I saw your snorkeling gear. To bad about your P38 but now you have a pair of dentures to take their place. Thanks for all the advice guys. I will share my finds on here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late update and thanks for everybody's input. I purchased a Pelican 1615 case for my Detector coils and shafts, scoop, scoop handles snorkeling gear everything fit perfectly in it. This case will last and be used for a long time. Hawaiian Airlines does not allow any lithium Ion Battery's in checked baggage, none , noway, nada. Sucked pulling the head out on my EQ 800 and putting it in my back pack, with the shaft attached. Couldn't unscrew it in a timely manner while in line with the allen wrench. I know somebody said put it in my back pack, I can hear you laughing at my pain. It worked though. First day was raining and windy, and the surf was really choppy, so were day 2, 3, and 4. Day 5, I was able to put one good day in and parts of day 6. I found a silver earring with a fake turquoise stone, and a penny. The water and the beach were warm and I just had to work with the chop and get some OJT. This is my very first time detecting in water and in the surf. What an experience! Cleaned and rinsed all my gear up at the rinse station. Packed it away. I went to go use my 800 yesterday and it was singing and pinging, it just wouldn't  settle down. then I notice water behind the screen. So here starts another saga. Sending it to Minelab tomorrow. Oh Steve H, the Service Center Phone numbers you have somewhere on this site, in another post are Golden. Thanks!

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1