Is The 8" Garrett Atx Mono Coil Worth It?

I may have a short window to add a new 8" mono coil to my garrett atx for $300. I really can't find much for review and comparison of this coil. Anyone with experience with this coil is welcome to post their experiences with it, before I blow money on something for no good reason 

• Like 1

If its the 8" green round coil, then its certainly sensitive. BUT when I owned an ATX, I got a dud one in the box...was terribly bump sensitive. I got a warranty replacement and that one was bump sensitive too...but not as bad. But still, In rocky areas, it was totally intolerable. If you can get a chance to test it before you buy...do that.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Aureous said:

If its the 8" green round coil, then its certainly sensitive. BUT when I owned an ATX, I got a dud one in the box...was terribly bump sensitive. I got a warranty replacement and that one was bump sensitive too...but not as bad. But still, In rocky areas, it was totally intolerable. If you can get a chance to test it before you buy...do that.

I'd be buying directly from garrett,  so I would think the coil would be under warranty, even if my detector isn't.  I do appreciate your input!

• Like 2

The ATX just like the Gold Monster has bump sensitivity under some conditions and settings, and in my opinion expecting it to have none is expecting too much. Like Gold Monster users, you either learn to work around it or get a different detector.

• Like 4

Thanks Steve.  I have read your writeup with the 8" mono. It's about the only one I could find on the world wide web.  I do realize the atx is knock sensitive for sure. Mine wasn't bad at all for the first few minutes, then it just would go haywire. Garrett is replacing some battery harness part they found faulty.  It could be as simple as that. I also suspect maybe there is some strange emi around here. The mines are exploring South of me, and who knows what kind of electrical interference their equipment may put out. Hoping the repairs help some anyways.  Hopefully I'll have good news when I get it back. Either way, it's a tool I will have until I decide it's not the write tool for me. 

I came across a very interesting observation from my colleague Ricardo... about the stability of the ATX... and the fact... that it is good to change the batteries in the ATX even sooner... as the indicator will show... low battery... and then the detector will be stable work ......

And I'll admit that in a similar situation ... where replacing the ATX batteries also helped me...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

I came across a very interesting observation from my colleague Ricardo... about the stability of the ATX... and the fact... that it is good to change the batteries in the ATX even sooner... as the indicator will show... low battery... and then the detector will be stable work ......

And I'll admit that in a similar situation ... where replacing the ATX batteries also helped me...

My first test with the atx was with new batteries. It was very unstable and pretty much unusable.  Fresh batteries were installed right before I made the 2 short videos also. I wanted to give the atx the best chance I could. I really like the design and simplicity of the atx.  I really am hoping that it was just a battery harness issue. It actually would make sense. I know from experience that modern complex electronics, really depend on a stable power source to function properly.  Thank you for your input. It does help me be optimistic about the atx for sure.

• Like 1