Noobie From Ny😅

JohnnyDigs

Hello everyone, pretty new to detecting but have gotten stuck with the bug for about just under a year now, been swinging with the nox 600, then just bought the xterra pro and now also just got the Legend. I’m glad to be apart of this as I’ve seen some really good people here sharing some great advice and hopefully one day I myself will be able to help others.  Right now I need to learn 🤪

Anyway, I’ve become so fascinated with the science behind this hobby and I’m starting to realize it’s a life time of learning so , here I am🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

9 hours ago, JohnnyDigs said:

Hello everyone, pretty new to detecting but have gotten stuck with the bug for about just under a year now, been swinging with the nox 600, then just bought the xterra pro and now also just got the Legend. I’m glad to be apart of this as I’ve seen some really good people here sharing some great advice and hopefully one day I myself will be able to help others.  Right now I need to learn 🤪

Anyway, I’ve become so fascinated with the science behind this hobby and I’m starting to realize it’s a life time of learning so , here I am🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Welcome JDigs,

I started here about 6 months after I got my first detector, then bought an Equinox 600. Since then I've moved up to the Deus 2, invested a ton of money in it, but it's not necessary to do that.

I think no matter what detector you have, if you learn it well, have patience and develop skill, you will do well if you have the right conditions:

I'm very fortunate to live in a part of the country where there is a lot of history, and nearly all my hunts are on this forum.

In my short 3 years I have made some stunning finds, but that's because the stuff is where I look, I spend a lot of time researching the permissions I get now, and have written some how-to's on research and how to approach farm fields, you will find them here if you're interested. And have farms near you 😀

In the summer the fields are planted, so I either travel to beaches and/or campgrounds, and have managed to get permission to hunt every campground I visit. I still consider myself a novice beach hunter. 

I don't have any public parks where I live and have not yet tried any schools, used to work for one, but thus far have not inquired.

Tell us where you want to look for stuff, and ask questions but do read up on your detector in particular, your manuals and here. I've got my butt kicked a few times speculating, and it's all been for the better. 😅 There are some serious detectorists here.

The more we know the more we can help you know. We also like pictures of finds. 😁

GL, HH 🍀

7 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

started here about 6 months after I got my first detector, then bought an Equinox 600. Since then I've moved up to the Deus 2, invested a ton of money in it, but it's not necessary to do that.

I think no matter what detector you have, if you learn it well, have patience and develop skill, you will do well if you have the right conditions:

I'm very fortunate to live in a part of the country where there is a lot of history, and nearly all my hunts are on this forum.

In my short 3 years I have made some stunning finds, but that's because the stuff is where I look, I spend a lot of time researching the permissions I get now, and have written some how-to's on research and how to approach farm fields, you will find them here if you're interested. And have farms near you 😀

In the summer the fields are planted, so I either travel to beaches and/or campgrounds, and have managed to get permission to hunt every campground I visit. I still consider myself a novice beach hunter. 

I don't have any public parks where I live and have not yet tried any schools, used to work for one, but thus far have not inquired.

Tell us where you want to look for stuff, and ask questions but do read up on your detector in particular, your manuals and here. I've got my butt kicked a few times speculating, and it's all been for the better. 😅 There are some serious detectorists here.

The more we know the more we can help you know. We also like pictures of finds. 😁

GL, HH 🍀

Man I’m grateful for everything I’ve already read and yes there’s so much to learn. I plan on spending some great time with the legend and really getting to know this machine in and out. I will definitely be taking a good look at all your ( how to ) information as this is something I’ve really been trying to figure out how all these metal Detectorists get their amazing permissions 🤣🤣🤣. There’s some awesome history where I’m at and that’s really what this is all about for me ( learning the history as well ) 

I also do have a lot of public parks which have been amazing already, I’ve tried the beach thing a couple of times but don’t really know much about it yet, although I watch a ton of videos, still though when I go it’s like there’s absolutely no targets there and I know it’s not the machines 🤣🤣🤣🤦🏼‍♂️

I know this stuff takes time and I’m in no rush because from what I understand already, this will be a life long learning experience 

I thank you so much for responding and I’m looking forward to creating new friendships along the way 🙌🏻

Hey Digs,

Here is a link to my post about farm hunting, it will take you to my other post "Find more stuff!", which will refer you to another post about the use of online resources for examining old maps and using Lidar imaging.

I don't own a Legend, but I see you're already getting some good advice. 🙂

GL, HH 🍀

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Here is a link to my post about farm hunting, it will take you to my other post "Find more stuff!", which will refer you to another post about the use of online resources for examining old maps and using Lidar imaging.

Thank you so much for the links, I was actually going to ask you where and how I find them. Obviously I’m new to this platform and don’t really know my way around 100% and yes, I’m definitely getting some great reads and great information already,  you guys are so intelligent with this stuff so you can imagine how grateful I am 

I will definitely spend time soon reading all your stuff and it’s well appreciated 

Thank you again 🙏🏻

Welcome to the forums JohnnyDigs !

Beaches are typically always changing and can be what is called "sanded in" meaning lots of soft sand deposited over the goodies layer. Sometimes it's not just the waves doing it  ! Local govs dredge sand up and pump it ashore to replenish the beach , for the people that don't detect .   

Look for areas that the waves have stripped the sand out exposing hard bottom .

Any beach can only give up what was deposited there , so high traffic popular spots especially high end tourist areas could be more target "rich" .

Permissions ? ask anywhere that you can , it gets better with practice. Rehearse an intro speech wouldn't hurt .   Be prepared to say thanks anyway if you get a no . Then ask if they know anybody....

37 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Welcome to the forums JohnnyDigs !

Beaches are typically always changing and can be what is called "sanded in" meaning lots of soft sand deposited over the goodies layer. Sometimes it's not just the waves doing it  ! Local govs dredge sand up and pump it ashore to replenish the beach , for the people that don't detect .   

Look for areas that the waves have stripped the sand out exposing hard bottom .

Any beach can only give up what was deposited there , so high traffic popular spots especially high end tourist areas could be more target "rich" .

Permissions ? ask anywhere that you can , it gets better with practice. Rehearse an intro speech wouldn't hurt .   Be prepared to say thanks anyway if you get a no . Then ask if they know anybody....

Yeah I’ve hunted the beach only a few times and never found anything just yet, but I believe it to be the reason of exactly what you’re saying, it’s way late in the season for where I am there is not a lot of traffic, and the place looks like it has been sanded up beyond belief plus it’s just to dang cold 😂😂

as far as asking for permission, I believe the hurdle for me is actually getting them to believe the simple fact that I am not destroying their property, people don’t understand about the plugs we pull and how we protect the earth, so this is the tricky part for me. I will definitely continue this practice as I am sure it’s a whole Nother art in itself.😂😂😂

Welcome from East Texas.

You've got some nice equipment already! I just ordered the Legend myself, can't wait to try it out.

Permission has always been hard for me too. I get a lot of anxiety, even just detecting a public park I hate doing it when it's semi busy–and I've been doing it for 20 years. My friend though was awesome at getting us into almost anywhere. The biggest problem around here is we don't have a ton of history, still love the hobby.

For me it definitely helps to have someone to go out with.