Minelab Manticore Wm 09 First Impressions

I got into one of those frantic "maybe they won't be easy to get; maybe ML will raise the price;..." moments and grabbed the first WM 09 wireless module I could find on the internet for the MAP(?) $139.  I took it out to one of my well-searched parks for a 3 hour test run with the Sun Ray Pro Golds.  First the photos (with Equinox WM08 as reference):

WM09_front.thumb.JPG.1e22b81f7053b529a4216f396b6f37ea.JPG

WM09_back.thumb.JPG.5332dc5285ebfa03674a116f328ac590.JPG

As the photos show, the WM09 and WM08 are quite similar -- same housing, just different guts.  The WM09 has four charging pads for the magnetic charging cable pins.  I now have five interchangeable charging cables (two detectors and three wireless modules since I have a backup WM08) so at least they've kept that 'standard'.

As is the case with the WM08, the 3.5 mm socket is recessed by ~5.5 mm which can be a problem if the jack being inserted is a right angle version.  I've installed a straight plug on my Sunray Pro Golds so as not to have this issue, but most right angle 3.5 mm plugs don't work as the pin can't get deep enough to properly seat.

As far as audio performance in the field is concerned, I don't notice any difference between the supplied ML105 headphones and the WM09+Pro Golds.  That is not the case (in my experience) with the ML80s vs. WM08+Pro Golds when running the Equinox.  The sound quality of the ML105 is much better than the ML80's, to my ear anyway.  I also notice no latency (time lag) with either the ML105 or WM09.  But I receive two advantages with the Pro Golds -- they block out ambient noise better and are warmer in cold weather.  Another likely advantage is the quality of the soft over-ear rings -- something Steve H. has talked about for years.  The Pro Golds use higher quality materials which matter in hot conditions.  Personally I tend to switch to earbuds in hot weather and just live with the background noise.  I haven't tried the WM09 with my Bose earbuds yet, but don't expect any problems.  🤞

Bottom line is for those (like me) who have a favorite set of aftermarket headphones and/or earbuds, the WM09 is a valuable addition.  If you're satisfied with other options (ML105s or the control unit's speaker) then no need to spend the $139.

• Like 8

I found that the WM08 unit was quite susceptible to EMI - especially from nearby cellphones.  Is the WM09 the same/better ?

7 hours ago, UKD2User said:

I found that the WM08 unit was quite susceptible to EMI - especially from nearby cellphones.  Is the WM09 the same/better ?

I don't carry my cellphone with me when detecting.  I've never noticed any particular EMI associated with the WM08 (or now, with just 5.5 hours experience, on the WM09).  The electronics (transmitter and receiver) use different standards between these two wireless modules so any quirks probably are not something that would necessarily carry over from the WM08 to the WM09.  Careful testing may be your only solution.  Note also that (AFAIK) the WM09 uses the same T/R system as the supplied ML105 headphones so any extra issues (or lack thereof) should be common to both.

• Like 1

My problem with the WM08 was with other people's phones (especially at the beach). The ML85's were always more resilient than the WM08 even though they used ostensibly the same protocols. I wonder if the WM08 antenna was a poor design/location.

1 hour ago, UKD2User said:

My problem with the WM08 was with other people's phones (especially at the beach). The ML85's were always more resilient than the WM08 even though they used ostensibly the same protocols. I wonder if the WM08 antenna was a poor design/location.

Actually, the headphones that came with the Equinox (or at least what the manual says below) were ML80's so we both were off on the model number.  But the WM08 did not use the same protocols as the ML80's since it was Minelab proprietary wireless (and considerably faster) compared to the Bluetooth APTX/LL method for the headphones:

Screenshotat2024-02-0513-23-38.png.492b6ce7b98deb2028e4aca559d0e210.png

Pretty sure the Manticore uses the same standards/protocols for both the WM09 and the supplied-with-detector ML105 headphones, but from what others have said that is also proprietary, just not Minelabs "roll your own" from scratch as apparently was done with other detectors (including the Equinox WM08 channel).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Actually, the headphones that came with the Equinox (or at least what the manual says below) were ML80's so we both were off on the model number.  But the WM08 did not use the same protocols as the ML80's since it was Minelab proprietary wireless (and considerably faster) compared to the Bluetooth APTX/LL method for the headphones:

Screenshotat2024-02-0513-23-38.png.492b6ce7b98deb2028e4aca559d0e210.png

Pretty sure the Manticore uses the same standards/protocols for both the WM09 and the supplied-with-detector ML105 headphones, but from what others have said that is also proprietary, just not Minelabs "roll your own" from scratch as apparently was done with other detectors (including the Equinox WM08 channel).

You're right about the Nox I'd forgotten about the WM08 'protocol' and of course they were ML80's If I'm right about the Achilles' heel of the WM08 being its poor antenna arrangement, I hope they fixed that on the 09...