Are You Good Enough?

7 hours ago, Lost Scout said:

but I know that I have to research, practice and spend the time with the coil to the ground and pay attention to what I'm doing

For me whether a pan or a detector it is the research of the history and the geology. Sometimes it is being out of doors but mainly it is the exploring. Over a period of time a detector will draw a picture of those who lived a life most only read about. The only thing remaining is the gold they missed and the trash they left behind. If they of had ate bean from aluminum cans, we’d all be rich. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

A very good thread. We here, are all probably much more similar in our outlook on the hobby & life in general, than we would suppose. How hard we strive to be above proficient grade is just one of the many aspects, but one I enjoy as well.  

• Like 5

We are discussing whether we feel we are good enough to deserve an expensive machine or much to some spouses chagrin "Another one 🙄", but there also seems to be an undercurrent regarding not being up to jumping up to a newer and way more expensive detector out of suspicion that we might not match its performance, indeed like a rifle that is more accurate in a sandbag or vise hold.

I've received a lot of advice over the years, and luckily have remembered much of it.

I was employed right out of college as an Accounts Receivable clerk as I knew my fresh degree in IT and a dime might make me enough to call someone who cared. This was back when being able to spell "computer" without a "k" was almost enough. It helped that I was promoted to the computer department of a large company from the freight receiving desk earlier, but that's another story.

The IT director approached me one day and asked me if I knew anything about Lotus 1-2-3, to which I replied that I did, writing Macros was something I really enjoyed. It appeared that some young "genius" wrote a large macro to transmit financials at the end of day had crashed and they wanted me to look at it. I fixed it, and one day the director threw the system programming manual for their IBM system at me and said "If you can write me a program from this book, I'll make you a programmer". I did, and he did.

One day we were discussing the imminent bankruptcy of that company and he gave me the second most sage advice I ever heard:

"Don't ever be afraid to take on something that you think is bigger than you, be it a job, a thing, or person".

The reasoning was that if you do, you will push yourself to understand it and do it/use it/triumph over it.

Quite frankly I'm pleased and sometimes amazed at how I've been able to do that even if I get knocked down or pushed back.

Never doubt anything but your fears, even if you get knocked down or pushed back.

Great thread LS, I'll shut up for a while 😏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

We are discussing whether we feel we are good enough to deserve an expensive machine or much to some spouses "Another one 🙄", but there also seems to be an undercurrent regarding not being up to jumping up to a newer and way more expensive detector out of suspicion that we might not match its performance, indeed like a rifle that is more accurate in a sandbag or vise hold.

I've received a lot of advice over the years, and luckily have remembered much of it.

I was employed right out of college as an Accounts Receivable clerk as I knew my fresh degree in IT and a dime might make me enough to call someone who cared. This was back when being able to spell "computer" without a "k" was almost enough. It helped that I was promoted to the computer department of a large company from the freight receiving desk earlier, but that's another story.

The IT director approached me one day and asked me if I knew anything about Lotus 1-2-3, to which I replied that I did, writing Macros was something I really enjoyed. It appeared that some young "genius" wrote a large macro to transmit financials at the end of day had crashed and they wanted me to look at it. I fixed it, and one day the director threw the system programming manual for their IBM system at me and said "If you can write me a program from this book, I'll make you a programmer". I did, and he did.

One day we were discussing the imminent bankruptcy of that company and he gave me the second most sage advice I ever heard:

"Don't ever be afraid to take on something that you think is bigger than you, be it a job, a thing, or person".

The reasoning was that if you do, you will push yourself to understand it and do it/use it/triumph over it.

Quite frankly I'm pleased and sometimes amazed at how I've been able to do that even if I get knocked down or pushed back.

Never doubt anything but your fears, even if you get knocked down or pushed back.

Great thread LS, I'll shut up for a while 😏

It's not about deserving or a suspicion of not being good enough for a machine. I hope I can communicate and make sense here. If you are happy and satisfied with whatever machine you're using I think that's great. I have been happy with a $110 machine from the pawn shop. Now I'm learning new technology on more expensive machines. I hope to learn them well, hope to make cool finds on the way and lm happy doing it. 

Learn the machine you can afford.

If you can afford the best and want one, go for it. (It also helps drive the economy and gives me a chance at the used models 😀).

In some areas of my life I like automatic turn on and go, get results so that I can spend time in on other things that interest me. Certainly in some areas I take on things that make me learn and are a challenge. When I bought a Nox 800 I bought a learning curve. Still learning, happy doing it.

In another thread there is guy selling a detector. Found out that's not the machine for him and he's finding gold with another model. I think it's great he's finding gold and hope he finds more. He found  the tool that works for him but seems to be searching for something a little more... Nothing wrong with that. So am I.

Am I up to my machines capabilities? No. But I'm happy using them.

• Like 6