Jewelry Detecting.... Disappointing Results

On 3/2/2024 at 2:38 AM, TampaBayBrad said:

I googled it up and couldn't find anything that says you can't detect the 31 miles of Maryland's Atlantic ocean beach. I bet it's a great place to detect since it's so crowded in the summer. Go at night with a headlamp to avoid the crowds.

I guess it depends on who own and runs the  beaches. I live a few hours away from the closest MD beach. And this is the MD guidelines for detectorists.

DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
MARYLAND PARK SERVICE

AGENCY POLICY 13-17
1 July 2015
RELIC COLLECTING, TREASURE HUNTING AND USE OF METAL DETECTORS

I. General
It is the policy of the Maryland Park Service to safeguard the archaeological resources under its care.

II. Policy
Park visitor using metal detector

A. Digging in search of buried relics or treasures, the removal of any prehistoric or historic artifacts, and the use of metal detectors (except as noted in D, below) within the boundaries of lands, beaches, or under waters controlled by the Maryland Park Service is strictly prohibited without a permit from the Office of Archaeology, Maryland Historical Trust, Department of Planning.

B. Permits are only issued to archaeologists and other qualified persons who present a plan for scientific investigation, to be carried out under provisions of the Maryland Archaeological and Submerged Archaeological Historic Properties Acts, as amended.

C. Copies of the law and application for permit can be obtained from the Chief, Office of Archeology, Maryland Historical Trust.

D. The only exception to the aforementioned permit requirements shall be for the use of metal detectors in the search for modern coins, jewelry, etc. on all designated swimming beaches operated by the Maryland Park Service, with the exception of Point Lookout State Park and Calvert Cliffs State Park, and all adjacent waters controlled by the Service.

1. Permission to use these devices for this purpose must be obtained from the Park Manager.
  2. These devices may be used during normal park hours except:

a. From 9:00 a.m. through dusk from May 30 through Labor Day, and;

b. At any other time, at the discretion of the Park Manager, when use of these devices would interrupt the recreational enjoyment of other park visitors

Maryland's Strick rules converted me to a "In the water hunter only"  I hated the door knocking and asking. There are many old beaches from yesteryears in the Chesapeake Bay, one just has to get to them by water.  

On 3/1/2024 at 9:21 PM, Chase Goldman said:

MD State Parks with beaches allow MDing.

Most don't allow hunting during the summer season and if they do it's very limited. I struggle getting up early with those crazy Sandy Point summer hours . 7am to 9am. And that almost got shut down last year when a few were slipping in at 6am, Ranger passed along a message to all that hunt earlier, We catch anyone in here before 7am .. there will be no more detecting.

On 3/2/2024 at 5:38 AM, TampaBayBrad said:

I googled it up and couldn't find anything that says you can't detect the 31 miles of Maryland's Atlantic ocean beach. I bet it's a great place to detect since it's so crowded in the summer. Go at night with a headlamp to avoid the crowds.

That would be OC Md, they have a curfew where your not allowed on the beach from 1am to 5am during the summer. It is Maryland's best beach, cost a small fortune to live there or even get a hotel. You would think with millions of visitors the hunting would be great but things have changed the last ten years, not like it use to be. The good is .. it maybe one of the few spots in Maryland you can walk out and swing without worrying about getting asked to stop.

10 hours ago, moondog69 said:

I guess it depends on who own and runs the  beaches. I live a few hours away from the closest MD beach. And this is the MD guidelines for detectorists.

What you posted is for within state parks only. I came across that also but it doesn't pertain to the rest of Maryland. Our state parks are mostly "No detecting" here in Fl.

12 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Most don't allow hunting during the summer season and if they do it's very limited. I struggle getting up early with those crazy Sandy Point summer hours . 7am to 9am. And that almost got shut down last year when a few were slipping in at 6am, Ranger passed along a message to all that hunt earlier, We catch anyone in here before 7am .. there will be no more detecting.

I know, it's nuts in season and in two hours you can't cover much ground.  That's why I go in the off season and take my time.  Yep, no fresh drops but last time out still took home some pocket change and a nice 925 Bracelet.  I also pulled a 2 cent piece there in the off season and a couple pieces of gold.  It's quiet, you're not rushed, and there always seems to be at least one surprise find when I do go.

Yeah, and it's great the bad actors continue to take away the few remaining opportunities we have to detect public areas by representing the hobby in a bad light.

20180310_134719.thumb.jpg.76f5eab263d15e2d7d17ee7cf811ec69.jpg20190203_122241.thumb.jpg.43081597dddc8a862f3008d88aac1528.jpg20200920_171016.thumb.jpg.9bbf72b50e599fef3b983ebb0ececcf6.jpg20240222_150437.thumb.jpg.3cc958920bcb9e68b7815c3ae15a959a.jpg

• Like 6

Remember a little of something is better than a lot of nothing.

Chuck 

• Like 3