Normal Vs Overdrive

I dont know if I correctly titled this post.. maybe "Tame vs Unleash"? 😄Would love to know your experiences in findings/targets dug between these 2.. are they any performance advantages between overdrive vs normal? .. lets say sensitivity of 18 to 24 vs 25 to 29  usimg the same recovery speed, modes and other settings at the beach or in land except in iron sites which for me have no choice to reduce the sensitivity accordingly and not in high mineralised soil.. 

If you using overdrive.. do you think that maybe some of the targets cant be detected or dug using normal sensitivity?

Of course wihen using overdrive .. it needed more mental discriminations, posibility lof losimg whisper targets etc..

Would you say you finds more with overdrive than normal?

p/s: I think "unleash" also is not proper word for increasing sensitivity alone.. for me Unleashing  is about opening up ferrous limit too

• Like 1

I drive it slow and steady...rarely over 22 sens but thats me in my areas...really depends on the ground conditions, emi in the area etc...

strick

• Like 4

The only time I crank it up beyond 21 in the dry sand is when I think it may help me identify a deep weak signal. I just don't like a bunch of continuous chatter. I run 21 in the sand....beach low conductors and 19 in the water.... surf and seawater mode. There's some chatter, but not too bad.

I think if you run it too hot, the chatter could possibly mask some target sounds. Also, a lot of people say higher sens make's ID #'s less reliable/jumpy.

• Like 2

Rarely above 21, and then only 22.  Most often 19-20.  For me in my dirt, anything higher is counter productive.

- Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Airtemisa said:

I use overdrive with M8 (30 sensitivity)

Did you check what the lowest sensitivity it can detect? I'm asking because I did check on many targets for normal vs overdrive  sensitivity.. To me the overdrive just makes the target sound louder + with ear fatique + eratics tones/target ID.. Im wondering if its worth of something that I didn't know of yet that I'll pass up if I didn't use the overdrive.. at the beach with m8 I can run with sensitivity 27 with manageable/acceptable noises just because... how to say .. better safe than sorry? 

• Like 1

Where I set the Sensitivity is very much dependent on soil conditions.

I did some Sensitivity tests (not beach) with buried coins at around the 8" to 9" mark. I found the sweet spot by adjusting the Sensitivity between 15 and 25. I would test at 15 and then 25......test at 16 and 24 and so on (so the best reading will meet in the middle). I set my Sensitivity at the maximum depth that gave me a consistent target ID and a confident 2D trace. I settled on 20 for that location. A setting of 19 or 21 was also acceptable. 18 was very quiet but there was room for more performance.....22 was just starting to become "ratty". If in doubt, I will err on the lower side with the Sensitivity. Many of my non-beach locations have fairly shallow coins and there isn't much beyond 8".....so no point in cranking the Sensitivity to 22 or higher when even 18 will hit them well.

Lower Sensitivity also helps "manage" the less than coin size targets....the small foil, broken tabs, etc are less likely to alert me as masquerading as a coin/ring (super handy for grassed areas).

On the  beach then the same applies but I am happy to run a little hotter....digging is easier and good targets are deeper.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tony said:

Where I set the Sensitivity is very much dependent on soil conditions.

I did some Sensitivity tests (not beach) with buried coins at around the 8" to 9" mark. I found the sweet spot by adjusting the Sensitivity between 15 and 25. I would test at 15 and then 25......test at 16 and 24 and so on (so the best reading will meet in the middle). I set my Sensitivity at the maximum depth that gave me a consistent target ID and a confident 2D trace. I settled on 20 for that location. A setting of 19 or 21 was also acceptable. 18 was very quiet but there was room for more performance.....22 was just starting to become "ratty". If in doubt, I will err on the lower side with the Sensitivity. Many of my non-beach locations have fairly shallow coins and there isn't much beyond 8".....so no point in cranking the Sensitivity to 22 or higher when even 18 will hit them well.

Lower Sensitivity also helps "manage" the less than coin size targets....the small foil, broken tabs, etc are less likely to alert me as masquerading as a coin/ring (super handy for grassed areas).

On the  beach then the same applies but I am happy to run a little hotter....digging is easier and good targets are deeper.

During your tests did you also adjust the recovery speed at all?

19 hours ago, fishersari said:

¿Has comprobado cuál es la sensibilidad más baja que puede detectar? Lo pregunto porque verifiqué en muchos objetivos la sensibilidad normal frente a la de sobremarcha. Para mí, la sobremarcha solo hace que el objetivo suene más fuerte + con fatiga del oído + tonos erráticos/identificación del objetivo. Me pregunto si vale la pena algo que hice. Aún no sé si lo dejaré pasar si no uso el overdrive... en la playa con m8 puedo correr con sensibilidad 27 con ruidos manejables/aceptables sólo porque... cómo decirlo... mejor seguro que ¿Lo siento? 

Yes, and it doesn't always detect it. I'm using, with M8, the Dankowski set of settings, and I've gotten some really incredible results; It's a laser. What happens is that after 2 hours my listening fatigue is brutal.

With M15 I go exactly the opposite: on the quietest sensitivity setting, since with the M15 the depth is given by the physics of the coil itself.

Generally I always hunt on the beach, and with each coil, I know that I am looking for a different type of objective, so I adapt to it, the circumstances and the objective I am pursuing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yatahaze323 said:

During your tests did you also adjust the recovery speed at all?

My recovery speed is also dependent on "target density".....good targets and bad. Some of my grassed areas, I was using a recovery of 6.