Waterproofing A Gp/sd Detector For Underwater Detecting, Thoughts?

Hi all. Wondering about thoughts on this, whether it would even work or not? Mind the slightly drunken ramble but..?

I'm aware there are already some PI waterproof detectors out there, such as the Garretts, 2300, etc. I'm really looking for a waterproof PI machine with discrimination and interchangeable DD coils. What's to stop anyone from waterproofing an old 2200 or 3000, etc?

Is there any logical reason as to why it might not work underwater or any reason other than the expense to why nobody has done it yet? I'd love a setup like the SeaGhost mods. I have an old 3000 that I don't really use that cost me nothing..I'd be happy to risk it if this idea would work.. 

I've done some slight mods on it to get it to a state where it's rainproof, run out of a backpack, and uses a waterproof DD Detech coil. Great on heavily mineralised beaches and shallow water...but would be amazingly helpful underwater. imagine all the deeper stuff we're missing, or the fine chains and pendants. There's plenty of times I've barely detected earrings and fine chains with my manticore underwater just due to how much ironstone/clay is around. Sure I can get rings at 10-12", maybe barely at 13-14", but all the others at 14+ inches deep, there'd have to be heaps more.

Realistically it would not be hard to build at all. 6v lithium battery hard-wired, and change the coil connectors to waterproof connectors, then adapt some waterproof headphones to a new waterproof plug (or just hardwire), and encase the detector in a 10m waterproof rated housing? Not sure how the switches would work, maybe similar to the Excal switching system.

is there any reason this hasn't been done already that I'm not thinking of? I found this ring under about 1ft of ironstone/clay about knee deep in the water with the 3000 about a year ago, hence the thought.

image.thumb.png.59c4ef22a8c145ff1bd7ac2d9f9f8cf6.png 

The metal enclosure serves a purpose - you probably should try and maintain the concept somehow. Your coil connectors aren’t waterproof and would quickly corrode. I had used a GP Extreme at the beach with a plastic bag over it but I avoided getting into the water over a foot or so. It did not seem to pick up the foil - which was nice. The AQ is my replacement now.  I don’t think the work you would have to do would result in something with benefits over what the alternatives are. It’s too heavy.

Its a massive job. Not only do you have to contend with waterproofing the box, connectors, battery, switches etc plus shortening or building a new stem and cuff setup, but there's also the effect of buoyancy. True underwater detectors are neutrally buoyant with heavy-base epoxy or similar. For the same amount of time and $$ spent, you'd be better off with an Excal II or a Garrett SH II.... or even a Nokta Pulse dive. 

• Like 2

That is one hell of a job,not for the faint hearted for sure,and you cannot guarantee that it will be 100% water tight,you only would need one ingress of water and Kaput.....good luck if you do decide to go for it and if you do keep us all update even if it does go Kaput 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1