Chinese Nokta Legend Clone!

I came across this detecting related video on YouTube yesterday and was somewhat surprised to find that it actually does look like a clone of the Nokta Legend:

I wouldn’t like to be the Chinese cloner when Dilek finds out!!! 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

yep, the market will be flooded with them soon, they're in Russia already.

These things will be all over New Zealand and Australia soon from Aliexpress and the like. 

If it uses their own technology and isn't copying I guess it's not much different to the Legend vs the Nox, but if its stolen Nokta's software/hardware that's not good, but probably not much they'll be able to do about it, Fisher hasn't been able to stop the clones, been around for decades to the point they've probably outsold the genuine article in many countries outside of the US.

It even comes with a pinpointer in the box.

Downright scandalous. It is an obvious reverse-engineered Legend that has minor changes cosmetically and in the software to be disputed as a total ripoff from a legal standpoint. The icons are different in a few places. Quite crafty and sneaky. LOL

The buttons are different, the materials are probably of a lesser quality. BUT, there are a lot of people that will buy this because it is less money. And truthfully, when the Chinese set out to make things sometimes they actually do a good job. I have quite a few Chinese made knives (Kizer, CJRB, QSP, Kansept) and they are just as good as my Spyderco knives in pure cutting performance but cost considerably less. They hold an edge and have properly heat treated blades. The blades come centered. And often times the actions are way better(ceramic bearings vs phosphor bronze washers). Yeah, knives and sharpening are another passion of mine. I'm not totally against trying something made in China granted they have original designs and their quality control is good. I have had some minor things happen with a Kizer knife and they sent me replacement parts directly from China. They've came a long way.

Wel,l it certainly copies the Nox and Legends frequency choices.

mf50frequencies.thumb.jpg.8652da76082b0bb42ece714dda1f94e8.jpg

I dont like the detector audio , the signals on targets are very elongated and lack of accuracy and the detector is chatty . This is the feeling I have from this short video . Would have to be confirmed by field tests .  On the other hand I like the detector mechanical design with a nice CB and telescopic shaft.

I dont think its a stolen software because I think such softwares are very complex , probably several thousands of source code lines , and it would take months(years?)  to understand and master it . I think that it is much faster to redevelop something from zero than trying to copy , understand and modify such complex softwares. 

Yes it looks like a Legend , but the Legend looks like an Equinox etc ... They all copy each other . It is the same thing for other products like smartphones ,  computers etc ..  Opening windows on a computer screen was an idea from Apple copied a little later by Microsoft for example . Who remember this ?

52 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Opening windows on a computer screen was an idea from Apple copied a little later by Microsoft for example . Who remember this ?

Steve Jobs got the computer GUI and mouse idea from Zerox. Zerox might have gotten them from a researcher at Standford University named Douglas Engelbart 🙂

• Like 2

They have enough products now to open stores like these on a corner near you for detecting gear.

watches.gif.5ea052d8473aacb98667ca602a431e87.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, palzynski said:

I dont like the detector audio , the signals on targets are very elongated and lack of accuracy and the detector is chatty . This is the feeling I have from this short video . Would have to be confirmed by field tests .  On the other hand I like the detector mechanical design with a nice CB and telescopic shaft.

I dont think its a stolen software because I think such softwares are very complex , probably several thousands of source code lines , and it would take months(years?)  to understand and master it . I think that it is much faster to redevelop something from zero than trying to copy , understand and modify such complex softwares. 

Yes it looks like a Legend , but the Legend looks like an Equinox etc ... They all copy each other . It is the same thing for other products like smartphones ,  computers etc ..  Opening windows on a computer screen was an idea from Apple copied a little later by Microsoft for example . Who remember this ?

I think you underestimate the Chinese mindset and drive. They have entire buildings and mobs of people dedicated to reverse-engineering existing products. It's their way.

Years ago Dell Computer mainboards were having all kinds of problems with instability and failures. The cause ended up being blown capacitors that were Chinese made copies of some formula they stole for the electrolyte in the capacitor. The joke was on them though, as the formula they hacked/stole was incomplete. The capacitors would pop because hydrogen bubbles were forming inside them- all due to a faulty electrolytic compound used(stolen). Worse was when those capacitors made their way into a power supply and violently exploded. It was a catastrophic failure when it happened inside a power supply. A large boom, sparks, smoke and flames.

The Chinese have been stealing stuff a long time, and they are good at it. Just a fact.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

They have enough products now to open stores like these on a corner near you for detecting gear.

watches.gif.5ea052d8473aacb98667ca602a431e87.gif

There is no shame in their game. That is for sure.

The capacitor plague story is a good one, I was a technician at the height of it dealing with the problem, it was a Japanese thief that caused it, and most of the faulty capacitors were made in Taiwan, wasn't so much a China production issue as a Japan/Taiwan problem.

It's a good story on Wiki to read, it affected just about every brand and went well beyond computer equipment.

• Like 2