Making A Good Choice

I am considering my first metal detector  as Huckleberry Mine is near by I am guessing mineralized ground.

What brands gives the best balance between price and performance.  I am getting info saturated with all the videos I have watched and am not certain enough to pull the trigger. I can afford a good detector just not the mistake of buying the wrong good detector. The upper end for price is about $4000 USD however I would be happy to pay less if it gave me what I need. Also I am in my 60s now so lightweight is good. Any videos that I should watch? Thoughts?

• The title was changed to Making A Good Choice

8 hours ago, BobHen said:

I am considering my first metal detector  as Huckleberry Mine is near by I am guessing mineralized ground.

Mineralized ground probably means needing a pulse induction detector as VLF detectors struggle in mineralized ground. Might check with someone familiar with the area you’re interested in on this. VLF’s do excel on on quartz gold in low mineralized areas though. Two PI detectors come to mind at that price point and are lighter than the older models. The Algoforce is not available in North America as of right now but could be coming soon. The Axiom-lite comes with a mono coil, so getting a DD coil would help in adding the ability to reject surface iron also.

Some more information below:

18 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Some info here:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/topic/25584-algoforce-e1500-vs-the-rest/

SDC 2300 or Axiom Lite might be a good fit.

I have not found the  Axiom Lite for sale in Canada,yet. At least not by an authorized dealer. The Algoforce e1500 is the unit I would buy but even Algoforce lists the e1500 as out of stock. More reading more research and a little more waiting. I can do that.

Garrett’s Axiom is fun to use and fun to swing for an older person like me. I don’t even need a harness. And it is a very versatile PI. The SDC2300 is definitely not fun to swing at least for me. I prefer my GPX 4000 over the SDC 2300 for long sessions. Algoforce is not in North America yet. 

If you are considering a gold prospecting VLF, the Manticore, Equinox 800, 900 or the Nokta Legend are solid choices in the do it all well type Swiss Army knife detectors that include gold prospecting, waterproof and simultaneous multi frequency operation for excellent mineralized ground handling. 

• Like 1

If your choices are close, look at the second hand prices of the ones you like. This allows you to sell your detector if it turns out to be a bad fit with a minimum loss. The length of time you can swing your detector will be limited to it weight and fit. Have fun.