GPX 4500 Replacement Screen

Well, long story short I got me a 4500. Not without trouble but I got one somewhat cheap.

The lcd screen is damaged though and has lines through it. does anyone know where I can get a replacement lcd from? And if it’s a simple plug & play type fix? Surely there’s some equivalent from china that will work..? 

it’s not BAD but it’s not great and it’s definitely not ideal. Would hate to be out and it stops altogether. cheers lads 

IMG_1574.jpeg

Despite the problem it still appears to be useable though.  From the looks of the fail pattern it could be a display driver or cable problem also, maybe?  Maybe a gentle reseat of the cables could resolve it.  The screw heads in the picture appear to be corroded like this was a salt water beach machine.  Good luck.

Take a look at this tread.  US based but they may have what you need

Service Is Still Available From Detector Center For Your Prospecting Detectors

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/3-metal-detecting-gold-prospecting-forums/

It’s going to be expensive to fix from all the quotes I gotten on board and end cap repairs/replacements. 

Since you’re in Oz. You might contact the mod guys there or Minelab’s non warranty service department.

Ebay had some end caps a while back for a decent price.

You can get them from China as they use them on their clones, you'd want to pop yours open first to just make sure but generally their clone stuff is identical in the way it fits.

I'd get a quote from Minelab first, as these Chinese ones aren't even that cheap, they used to be when a lot of sellers had them but now it seems down to one.  You could ask Woody at Detectormods as he's tinkered a lot with these fakes.

Just 4 screws and a ribbon cable to replace it, although I'd pop off your ribbon cable and clean it with some electronics cleaner or pure alcohol and plug it in again and see if it fixes your screen, as it might, do it at both ends.

I think eventually when Minelab stops services the GPX we'll be increasingly relying on these clone parts but while Minelab still services unless the prices are beyond a joke it's best to just let them repair it with their parts.