2 Hour Notch Experiment Park Hunt. 5 Rings.

• The title was changed to 2 Hour Notch Experiment Park Hunt. 5 Rings.

Thats one way to do it for sure. How many times have you hunted this particular park? I've noticed that when I hunt parks I will find most of my rings in the first several hunts and then it goes down hill from there...sometimes I'll notch out the small foil but it's hard to think that I could be missing a nice gold chain in the process...so I usually will hunt by sound and id stability when searching for jewelry and dig or pass based on those traits..nice hunt

strick 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, strick said:

Thats one way to do it for sure. How many times have you hunted this particular park? I've noticed that when I hunt parks I will find most of my rings in the first several hunts and then it goes down hill from there...sometimes I'll notch out the small foil but it's hard to think that I could be missing a nice gold chain in the process...so I usually will hunt by sound and id stability when searching for jewelry and dig or pass based on those traits..nice hunt

strick 

Hi Strick.

That was the second time I hunted that park. The first time was "dig all" looking for jewelry. I mainly got clad and aluminum trash. I did that in a few parks and sports fields before deciding to give up on that hunting style.

I'm fairly new to water hunting, but the jewelry rewards are infinitely better than dirt hunting. Right now, I'm looking for all the ways to increase the odds of finding jewelry when hunting in the dirt.

I'm thinking that due to the ring shape of rings lol, that most of them are shallow due to being caught up in the grass roots. If so, I might be able avoid even more targets that I don't, by only digging the shallower targets.

I do find rings quite deep, quite often.

- Dave

1 hour ago, UT Dave said:

I do find rings quite deep, quite often.

- Dave

Hi Dave.

Is that on grassy sites?

I do find deep rings in the muddy lake bottom, in which there is nothing inhibiting the ring from going deep. Especially with people stomping on them further into the mud.

I'd say the deepest of those rings in the picture was about 6" in the grassy site, with the others being just below the surface in the grass roots.

I don't know if my "rings caught in grass roots" theory is correct, but I'm guessing it has some merit. I just don't know if that merit is enough to justify ignoring the deep targets 🙂

Yes, talking specifically of park turf type sites.  Some of my deepest keeper finds in parks have been honker silver or gold rings.  I find them on or near the surface, too.  But they can and do sink in my dirt.  And probably just because a big ring gives a strong signal, like I said, some of my deepest keepers in parks are rings.  They tend to be oriented vertically too.  My guess is because most are quite a bit heavier on the top side.

- Dave

• Thanks 1

I think depth is more dependent on how soft the soil is water content of the soil, traffic (lawn mowers etc) and the weight of the object...I was out for a little hunt Sunday evening and I'm amazed at how deep some pull tabs are that I find...way below the roots of the grass and I always wonder how they do not just get caught up in the roots and just stay at that depth..

Notching out may be a good strategy in a real trashy park to begin with but after the easy targets disappear then its time to see what everyone else has walked over and left..my CTX was a great notcher 🙂 

strick 

• Like 2

Good point about the deep pulltabs Strick.

I'll still stick with the notching method though, because I don't have the physical or mental desire to dig any more aluminum trash than what I did with the notching 🙂

• Like 1

Parks also get re-sodded & other “improvements”.

• Like 1