Question For You East Coast Colonial Buffs , Re.: Target ID :

I would class this ring as a Patriotic motif. A common design during times of war, especially during the 1861-1865 affair. I've seen several dug from Union camps and although similar, none were identical, being manufactured by Jewelers in local towns. What do the sides look like?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

El, good to hear from you !   I just now found what I *thought* was the motif eagle.   It's on what some east coast guys have found.   The "GW button" (George Washington button) .   But as you can see here, it's not an exact match.   Doh !

gw.png

That type of early eagle is refer to as the "Turkey style" eagle

• Like 2

Take a picture of it with Google Lens. While its not accurate all the time, it can point you in the right direction. I use it a lot. Its about 70-30...

• Like 1

thanx for your inputs everyone.   I've linked my friend, who is the one who found the ring.   And maybe he can join in here and post the added pictures of the side(s), that some of you are asking about. 

thanx again !!

7 hours ago, spacefury65 said:

Take a picture of it with Google Lens. While its not accurate all the time, it can point you in the right direction. I use it a lot. Its about 70-30...

I "lensed" it, even adjusted the photos for the optimum angles for rings, and did lots of manual searches with different descriptive phrases. 

Best photos for the future would be straight on flat to the eagle, and a 2/3 shot to capture the sides. Place the object on a flat white or neutral colored surface.

20240426_171127.thumb.jpg.9a4bd461c01265b5b6823112362080bd.jpg

• Like 2

Howdy Diggum and welcome to the forum. 

Thanks for sharing your outstanding ring find with all of us and please keep us posted if you learn anything further about it.

Not to sound silly but IMO that is a very important historical artifact that you lucked onto.

Doc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc Bach said:

Howdy Diggum and welcome to the forum. 

Thanks for sharing your outstanding ring find with all of us and please keep us posted if you learn anything further about it.

Not to sound silly but IMO that is a very important historical artifact that you lucked onto.

Doc

Thank you, Doc, and not silly at all, in my opinion.  I quite agree, actually, and left a message with the local historical society to let them know about it and to request help in discovering to whom this would have belonged.  I did post this to a California MDing group, and one of the members did me the favor of photo-reversing the image, turning it into a black and white positive.  The lady was quite a beauty for her day, IMHO.  With this picture and the local historical society's help, I think we can figure this out, and I may loan it to them for their displays.

441275540_10233527706753756_2443508445808326470_n.jpg

• Like 8

Hi there Jon.  Welcome to this forum.  I was about to come back to this thread and update it with the update on your find.  Ie.: the daguerrotype photo that was hiding inside .   But I see you've become a member here and brought in the update.

Cool find !  

• Like 1

Now we jump from "patriotic" to love token ring. Not only does it display the patriotic Eagle used by military soldiers, but having his sweethearts photo inside crossed into the Love token collectible. They are rare rings and with both an engraving AND a photograph, that places it well above the love token coin or ring. I found a ring in a union Wisconsin camp with six initials; 3 above and 3 below, each engraved in Spencerian script (the formal script of the mid 19th century). I've recovered lockets with a US officer (standing) and his wife (sitting) but this is the first ring with both engraving and a photo. You must take care about exposing the photo unless it is sealed under glass. Contact with air can lighten or destroy the pic if the glass is missing. 

• Like 5