Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Better Understanding GPZ 7000 Zero Voltage Transmission ( ZVT )

Makes good sense to me JP.  I am not mistaking your passion nor your advice/instruction or the why's.  I witnessed it, the passion, first hand many years ago in Stanton AZ and have never forgotten.  I'm the same way in my own profession in aviation so your professionalism, and that of others, are understood and appreciated as are your approaches to the technical details.  I do thank you for the debate and your views. Knowledge is indeed power.  Hahh!

I have used what has been given here and given it a Good Go.  So what I'm giving back is just my return on all of our members advise and instruction.  Pay back if you will.  If I seem argumentative its only in a good way as I see it as debate and really am not looking to win anything but knowledge.

This year I put the Zed in with the 2300 myself thinking it would be a good combination. Though its comparing apples to oranges I ended up reselling the 2300 as I found that there was very little that I could do with the 2300 that I could not with the Zed.  If ML can ever make a smaller coil, something I'm doubting can be done *kind or like the Garret GTI never being able to come up with a imaging coil smaller than 8 inches*,  we will all be talking about another set of tweaks to get the most out of that coil as well.  Me I'm considering dragging the 3000 with the Joey and 11 DD back out of retirement for use as a pin pointer with the Zed.  That's about all the 2300 was really good for with me aside from being able to push into grass and bushes the 14 inch could not be worked in.

Settings aside I have to wonder on the subject of Pin Pointing which is probably the most irritating subject with the Zed in the field.  I wonder if it would be possible to get ML to make a Zed set up so that it could operate much like a PI in cancel/mono mode~ ie turn off one of the receive coils and operate similar in manner as is done with DD coils.  That function helped me so many times on deep stuff with my 3000 as to be a no brainer for the Zed.  Almost every picture I see of deep finds shows a PI in the background and that was so in my experience as well.  Having to call a mate over to figure out where the nugget is in the calcrete so we didn't have to blast a hole to find the nugget required a PI.  I could find no way to dull the Zed down enough to get accurate pin pointing.  You literally have to get the target out of the hole or trench as it were.  Funny enough you can tell a Zed hole from a PI hole very easily ;)

OK, I`ve revisited a patch found with the Z 14", flogged with the Z and a 5000 with a new age 14" coil,(two of us) revisited it with the 19", spent 9 hours for ziltch with my hot settings I used with the14", went back this morn for a 3 hour detect with the 19" used JPs conservative settings and I`m stoked. Is the 19" worth its weight in gold, you bet.

Tis magic but this old fella is knackered, pick and crowbar holes in 45deg heat at 8 in the morn. Don`t feel sorry for me it was bloody magic, Thank You JP.

DDancer we may need to rethink our settings, especially volume, operating the Z at low noise may be more productive, certainly has shown to me to be so with the 19", reminds me a bit of the VLF hot or conservative debate days.

Pinpointing was no drama, dug directly over nuggets (coil centre), finished off digging them out last couple of " using pinpointer and pick point carefully.

• Like 7

Do not take this wrong mate but your dealing apples and oranges messing the 14 with the 19 and I make no bones about it.  At that I'm going to point you back to the posts:  JP is speaking from experience with the 19 and I am most certainly not.  I have also intoned that there will be variance between the two coils just like any other machine.  No false thinking there mate.  As to pin pointing its a desire I have and something I think, remotely, that the Zed is capable of.  You dug a HOLE :)) and got the reward but it was a big arse Hole ;) *I'm betting*. Good on ya though!

edit: Great info though and again good on ya!

• Like 1

Got you DDancer, initially I considered the 19" coil was a totally different beast to the 14" not so sure now. I`ll be trying same conservative settings next time I use the 14". No the holes weren't big arse holes, once I`d cleared the debris and couple of inches of the surface to get the coil closer to the targets, the 19" centred nicely, targets were a clear signal then and I went the rest with a 6ft bar, holes from then on were only 1.5ft in dia, varying a little as I moved wash rocks, otherwise hard dry clay. Gold is eluvial, on a gentle slope had not got into the creek, very little alluvial gold in country I detect now.

No cap rock as in WA nor calcite, thus no need for a massive hole. Love the (fairly recent purchase)  Whites TRX for this as it has the best depth right at the tip I`ve encountered in a pinpointer. I`ve rarely used a pinpointer on gold only for coins but I grabbed it when I went back to vehicle to get the bar. Worked a treat. Interesting tit bit, the transmit tip of the 19" (protrudes forward and rearward of receive coils) picks up the signal as you get close at reduced sensitivity, handy feature, just poke down hole with coil standing up or as close to as you can get.

• Like 6

Interesting observation on the 19's sensitivity for pinpointing. Hehh maybe I ought to give it a go... hrm...  Not into having a backhoe for a side kick though... bad enough a genny and all the requisites in the ute ;)