Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Raining Detectors - How Many is Too Many?

I too suffer from "detectoritis". For somebody who has great difficulty actually getting out in the wild with my machines, I have way too many.

I have an F-75 updated to the newest software arriving early next week and expect that it will become the only "all-purpose" detector I will keep. I believe that it can "do it all" better than any other single machine (time will tell if I am right). Meanwhile I Have a beautiful GB2 with all 3 coils that I found in a Pawn shop for a give-away price which I am still amazed at! That will stay - it is feather light and nothing can touch it for the tinest gold. The Gold Bug Pro will find a new home as will my Deus and an older Whites 6.59 kHz Machine along with its Bigfoot coil.

I have 2 PI detectors and the cherry ML SD-2100 will go and the TDI will stay, mainly because theTDI doesn't require me to wear a harness and is a killer machine for wet salt beaches (just don't drown it!). i had an ATX but it was just TOO heavy and I traded it for the Deus with 2 coils.

I previously had Whites Goldmasters, GM-3, GM 4b and GMT. All good detectors, but I preferred the GB2. I had Tesoro Lobos, both the original and the LST but preferred the Gold Bug Pro and the Whites machines to these. The other gold detector I had was the fabled Tesoro Diablo μMax. I had one and sold it, then last year I found another one and thought I should give it another chance. I sold it a week later. Nice machine, but I think Dave Johnsons GBP and F-75 are better.

Other also-rans for me included the MXT - I liked it a lot, but too heavy, a V3i - too complicated and I could never get confident with it, Compass Gold Scanner Pro and AU-52 - too old and fragile and no good repair possibilities,

General,purpose detectors which have come and gone since I retired 2 years ago include Whites Sierra Madre, IDX Pro, XLPro, Surf DF and Coinmaster GT; Tesoro - Sidewinder, Eldorado μMax, Compadre and Inca.

In case anybody thinks that I'm some kind of trust fund baby, with the exception of the V3i and TDI, every one of these machines was purchased secondhand - or third hand or fourth hand - and in most cases when I sold them on I made a couple of bucks, because I'm very careful about how I buy them.

OK, I feel better now - confession is good for the soul.

• Like 1

People think I'm crazy when they learn that I have TWO metal detectors. If I got another, I would probably keep it a secret.

I've been detecting for about four months and have the following:

AT Pro - the clad coin / pull tab detector

SDC 2300 - the bullet / beer can detector

Although I haven't found anything more valuable than loose change, I'm happy with both and don't feel the need to upgrade anything at the moment.

Things just took a turn for the worse. Steve, Ray Mills and Keith Southern have all suddenly "Turned Turk" (look it up) and have me wanting a Fors detector, then a neighbor put up a Whites Eagle Spectrum - pretty much new - for sale for lunch money.

IMPORTANT EDIT.

OOPS - i just looked up "turned Turk" - all i meant was they had suddenly changed sides - sort of - detector wise. Any implication that they had suddenly become agents of radical Islam was not intended - Some of my best friends in the old days in Saudi Arabia were Turkish - we always enjoyed eating at a wonderful restaurant that had a huge sigN "Turkey Restaurant". Funny thing though, they never served turkey - oh well.

Now I'm out all day doing theThunderdome bit with the F-75 and the Deus and breaking it up with strange experiments with a 20 something year old detector and weird coils like a Bigfoot and a 25" Magnum Force Coil (don't ask - just go to google images) - it's the weirdest coil of all time!

My wife and my doctor agree that my condition is chronic and incurable.

My wife read this and said that I should add that even the cat is beginning to have doubts about me.

• 3 weeks later...