Minelab Fix For The GM 1000

Ridge Runner

Steve

I'd like to do what you said on coming there. My trouble at this time I don't have a trip plan and unless I was going to stay 2 or 3 weeks I just wouldn't do it.

I plan on doing a lot of testing on my Gm and hope it works okay. I don't see send me a new 5 in. coil will fix anything. If I find I'm having the same trouble as when in Colorado it will be sent back.

The word I was looking for when they sent me the new coil is appease. That in my opinion is just what they done. This is not the first time I had a detector in my hand and the coil that was sent they didn't bother to test it. Had he done so he would have found it is doing the same as the other.

Chuck 

Well I got out today to do the testing on my GM 1000.

I couldn't believe how great it ran. To start on the depth mode it ran great with the sensitivity set at 7 but would get noisy when you bump it up to 8 but not bad. In auto sensitivity and sensitivity at 7 held true for both coils.

Now with the detector set on the gold mode I could run both coils with the sensitivity set at 10 and maybe even in auto plus. I couldn't get either coil to false.

I just don't understand it . It didn't run this good at home and the unit was making noise when turned on at home too. I wasn't so interest at this time about how good the depth but this testing is not over with yet. I plan on more testing before I make a trip to nugget country with it.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I said something about what the Tech said on the Ground Balance being way off. Now just looking at a GM it's no way knowing that. He had to hook up something to know that and where the coil is connected has got to be the port to access the GM.

He didn't tell me he done anything to the unit but to make it run like it did now something was changed. If it is any trouble in the programming we will never know it. The Tech just wave his hand over it and the sea parted.

If what I say is true I wish they tell it like it is and don't blow smoke up my ( because I can't see good when they do that ).

Chuck

Chuck; if it works don't worry, be happy! 

Testing a detector in the house or in the city is often not the best choice...way to many sources of interference...

Techs usually don't have the time or inclination to try and explain their magic...like some religions you just have to accept the mystery.

fred

• Like 2

I think that the GM being such a new beast , with a very fast processor that some users are calling some of the genuine abilities of this machine as being faults rather than genuine advancements simply because the older gen machines don't behave this way . This vlf machine has features never seen in A vlf nugget detector before and as such will have idiosyncrasies that just have to be learnt and understood to get the best out of it . I too have struggled to understand some of the behaviour of the monster. But it has to be remembered the technology I was familiar with is know getting quite long in the tooth. Running the monster in full auto means that the machine is adjusting sensitivity and ground balance in unison and the response to ground conditions will be a lot different to a detector like the Gold Bug where the operator sets the response parameters.I too have some bump issues with the coil but usually if I'm rough with it and I'm running high sensitivity, but I can't honestly say it distracts me all that much. I guess a machine with such high sensitivity and audio is going to be a bit touchy . We will have to see what minelab comes up with but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. 

PM??

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you have not read Jonathan Porters mastering the GM1000 on minelab treasure talk then I would highly recommend doing so over and over til his advice sticks in your mind out in the field. Mine will chirp when touching a weed or blade of grass but I don't see this as a problem. The monster is a very hot machine and I overcome this by realizing I am touching something and it sounds off so I will not dig. If you pump the coil up and down slowly and wait for the detector to go silent you should be good to go. Also you may need to back off of the auto sensitivity plus and instead hunt in auto sensitivity or manual backed off until this issue goes away. I have noticed that the hotter you run this detector the more it happens. I would also like to point out with this detector if you get a signal that says iron, iron, iron, iron, gold, iron, iron, gold, then you need to dig this scenario because that will be a very tiny or deep piece of gold. I have found several tiny and or deep nuggets, even flakes by digging this type of signal. Rake a layer away until the detector locks on to a positive definite target id.  I have been able to hunt in extremely hot ground around a quartz outcroping by putting it in auto sensitivity and repeatedly pumping the coil til it goes silent then hunt until it becomes noisy again and repeat the process. Attached is a pic of my results of working my monster in this manner.

1107171200.jpg

20170820_183514.jpg

20170820_094717.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1