Detailed Review Of White's Goldmaster 24K

Was out with Tom Boykin of White's Electronics yesterday running the Goldmaster 24K around on some old beat patches. The big stuff is about gone but little nuggets remain for hot detectors like the 24K. I managed to snag these four little bits, 7 grains total, largest piece 3.8 grains using the 6" concentric. Nice, easy running machine. The XGB multiple point ground tracking does seem to offer smoother operation with at least some combinations of hot rocks and ground. The place we were at is medium alkali ground with two particular hot rocks that trouble machines and the 24K ran great in this type of scenario.

It's been fun checking out the 24K as it kind of brings things around full circle in a nice way. I got my first detector, a White's Coinmaster 4, in 1972. And now 46 years later I am playing around with a new White's detector! A fitting end to my series of detector reviews over the years.

gold-found-whites-goldmaster-24k-herschbach.jpg

White's Goldmaster 24K gold nugget detector with 6" concentric coil
White's Goldmaster 24K gold nugget detector with 6" concentric coil

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I am becoming interested in trying my hand at detecting placer gold (until now, it's been just coins), and am intrigued by what I've been reading about the Goldmaster 24K.  But, I already have the Nox 600 (and 6" coil), which apparently will do a reasonable job finding small gold nuggets, even without the 800's gold modes, so I don't know... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 8:07 PM, watermain said:

Great review Steve. I sold my GMT and bought the 24K from Gerry in Idaho and haven't been sorry.

Comparing the 24K to the GMT, what would you say gives the 24K the advantage?  The 24K seems to have dropped true manual ground balancing. Has that been a problem?

• 1 month later...

Incredibly detailed review Steve. You are the unsurpassed master of detector reviews without the motivational bias of so many others, and that's an invaluable detail that is solid gold in my opinion.

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...