Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Wireless Issue

midalake

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Hugh, this is inconsistent with what I have found.  I've used the WM08's almost exclusively since I got my Eqx 800, over 200 hours.  (Don't know that it matters, but I've paired with mostly White's ProStar headphones and Bose Soundsport earbuds.)  I run with a threshold sound (setting = 4) and in "all metal".

I swing with my left arm.  I put the WM08 module in my top right hand shirt pocket or jacket pocket.  (Note, in my case I need to make sure to have clothes with RH pockets!)

Sometimes I want to go to the car to get something or shed something, and I don't want to carry the detector so I leave it behind on the ground.  I can tell when contact is lost by the threshold in the headphones.  I can't give an exact distance but it's at least 20 feet (6 m) before loss of signal.

As far as dropouts, I've noticed those on rare occasions (meaning only 2 hunts I can remember) and I have no idea what their cause is.  Each lasts a second or less, and I've gotten a few in a 30 second period, then none for several minutes, then a few more.  But I can only think of a couple hunts where this happened and, again, I was unable to associate it with anything.

Could this be a quality control issue?  Also, Dewconn mentioned jack connections.  I've had trouble with those myself (not with my current Eqx setup).  Here is the adapter that has done well for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One last thing, which is probably completely irrelevant to this thread, but worth mentioning since it is unusual.  I don't have a smartphone.  I carry a dumbphone in my left hand shirt/jacket pocket.

Thanks.  I have used the WM08 only occasionally in raining situations when I don't want the get the stock headphones wet so you have more experience than I do which indicates dropouts are not that big a problem for the long haul.  I noticed dropouts when I first used it until I put it in my right side pocket of my rain jacket (swing right handed).  Never had a dropout with the BT headphones and I know I have walked a good 20 to 30 yards away from the detector (40 to 60 feet) before I've lost connection, so my personal experience is the BT connection is more robust also probably helped because the receiver is in the headphones propped upon my head.  The manual even says:

Attach the WM 08 to the same side of your body as the detector to ensure the most reliable wireless signal and Avoid having the WM 08 in close proximity to other wireless electronic devices e.g. a smartphone.  With no such warnings with BT (in fact you can pair the BT headset with your phone and with the detector simultaneously).

This user also reported dropouts...

But as always with these techy things, YMMV.  To be clear, I am not saying one shouldn't use the WM08, but just putting the dropout information out there for general awareness.  I think your experience with it shows that it is a reliable alternative and preferred if you have a favorite set of wired headphones that can give you the best audio experience because that is key.  Do not fear the WM08.

Thanks for the adapter link.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So with over 1000 hrs on the Nox using BT I tried the wm08 module. There's no comparison, it's far faster than any BT aptx any version. I really didn't think I'd notice a difference that's why I never tried it. Like the saying goes, "If'n it ain't broke, why fix it?". BT wasn't, "Broke", it's just (at least to my eye ear coordination) slow. 

• Like 1