Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Which Of These 3 Coils For Underwater Work?

Tony

On 7/11/2020 at 9:04 PM, RickUK said:

I use the 8'' Garrett Mono coil on my 'Crossbow' pulse works exceptionally well,also have the 14x9 coil as well,both work well but the 8'' is my favourite out of the 2.Very good depth and also good for smaller targets like jewellery etc.

Rick

Did you have to modify the Garrett Sea Hunter 8” coil on your other detectors?

Thanks Tony 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Rick

Did you have to modify the Garrett Sea Hunter 8” coil on your other detectors?

Thanks Tony 

Tony the only thing that was changed and i will admit it was not me that changed it but the coil plug was changed so that it worked with my 'original' Crossbow Pulse,the designer and builder of just 13 Crossbow machines was George Overton who with Carl own Geotech1 forum,i bought the coil beand new from a Dealer who had a sale here in the UK,i approached George asking if this Mono coil would work and the challenge was accepted.He changed the coil plug which is basically straight forward after working out which terminals to use on the plug,one other thing i will highlight that he also did was i think he added some resistor just inside the control box which connected to the terminal this was so that the coil and control box could wok together in harmony for a better way of putting.I could find the exact details and calculations that George Overton used and the exact same alterations had been done when he also got the 14x9 SeaHunter coil up and running as well.......both work exceptionally well but my favourite is the the small 8'' SeaHunter Mono coil.

If you need any other help/advice or what ever dont be afraid to ask,i mainly use the Crossbow Pulse as a hoard/relic hunter as the design of this machine was originally made for depth on largish items rather than say fine timings for small gold jewellery.For small gold items i use my TDI Pro and especially my Mirage Pulse with a small 5.5'' Mono coil which i also did at one time have on my Crossbow.

Thanks Rick for your reply.

I just want to make sure that whatever I choose works well.....I don’t need 10uS in  the rough saltwater....more likely closer to 20uS to keep my sanity. The Coiltek Platypus is out because they are no longer made. I’m considering the 8”Detech Mono....it is foam filled but being just 8” will be okay, plus I can run a rubber weight to keep it down. I feel the Detech will work optimally without any modification. I’m still waiting to hear from Eric to see if he has a suitable coil. So maybe some uncertainty with the Garrett 8” ?

Appreciate the info

Tony

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 3:15 AM, pjrough said:

Here is how detech 8" coil is sealed. I was thinking to open the coil and fill it up with the epoxy, but for the moment decided to glue the protection to ensure better sealing, just in case.

If the cable gland is sealed properly, I don't see problems.

20200712_210408.jpg

20200712_210347.jpg

20200712_210335.jpg

Looks like this will be my future coil on the TDI BeachHunter.......

58 minutes ago, Tony said:

Looks like this will be my future coil on the TDI BeachHunter

Mine too...Bought my today... Hopefully until the end of the month I'll try it after some extra care against leakage..Honestly I thinked to skip all the modifications needed to adapt another coil based for another machine.If is true that gpx coils can run on the Tdi, then should be fine.Also, the original coil tends to float...This will float...No difference but at least a smaller and better manouvrable one.In the worst case I'll make a stainless steel upper shaft?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pjrough said:

A part there is another thing to take care: detech coil is made to fit minelab shaft. 

So you have to replace the lower rod, or to put some shims.

I'm considering to enlarge the coil ears drilling holes for a bigger stud. 

Even the White's original one doesn't thrill me.

2 minutes ago, pjrough said:

It is not only about the hole, the distance between co-called ears is larger.

?So was not only my impression ?

In the pictures doesn't seemed that large.

Thank you for the good one to have an idea of it!