Deus II = Ultimate Woods Hunting Detector

NCtoad

Is it?   I don’t see anything else out there except the deus I or the ORX that can compete for the title of Ultimate Woods Hunting Detector.  I went out in the woods behind my house yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours.  I live in the mountains of Western NC which are filled with mountain laurel, rhododendrons and hemlocks.  (Unfortunately a lot of the hemlocks are dying due to the woolly adelgid (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemlock_woolly_adelgid).  Anyways, the point I’m trying to make is that the mountains here are steep and in places full of tangled undergrowth especially the rhododendrons.  They have lots of tangled branches to catch on any part of a detector that sticks out. 

With the DeusII being wireless you can put the remote in your pocket and make the detector more streamlined plus you have no cables to get caught on branches.  Even the ws6 backphones (I normally like full coverage conventional headphones, but I’m warming up to these.  Lol) are less bulky and since the strap goes behind your neck, are much less likely to get knocked off.  It’s also so easy to adjust the rod length.  Decreasing it to go up really steep mountainsides and increasing it when going back down.  

I remember some people saying that they didn’t see an advantage to the wireless concept of the deus.  And until I went in the woods yesterday I didn’t realize how nice it was not to have the coil cable getting caught on branches all the time.  

BTW, I was using program 2 in pitch tones with the  rc safely tucked in my zippered shirt pocket and digging all good sounding signals.  I got two old headstamps, two .22 shell casings, two .22 lead bullets, a modern nickel and two pieces of junk jewelry!  Plus a couple of balled up foil gum wrappers. 

CA6F7E56-2097-43AE-9D0B-0171A4222235.jpeg

844E4291-A0F4-4B05-B477-F90E527FE18A.jpeg

Hunted stuff just like that in Virginia. It is nice not having cables to get tangled on tree limbs and vines.

I couldn’t agree more about the superiority of the Deus II for woods hunting. I have only been out once with the 2,  but many times with the Deus Lite and Orx. I  would much rather have the 9” coil ( and will soon I hope) but even with the 11” coil it’s great in the woods.  I want them to add a small elliptical but the 9” is best when roaming the woods. Much of the woods I hunt are similar to what NCtoad has. Dense with hills and ravines. Fallen trees are everywhere so a light detector is essential. By the way, I very much like the WS6 but I zip tied them to a cap so they stay put. 

Here are pictures of mine. Note 4 small zip ties. The hinge still allows WS6 to fold. Use a soft hat if you want them to fold up. You won’t regret it once you try it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

12 minutes ago, relicmeister said:

Here are pictures of mine. Note 4 small zip ties. The hinge still allows WS6 to fold. Use a soft hat if you want them to fold up. You won’t regret it once you try it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's cool. Bob.  You're the master hacker and do-it-yourselfer on detecting equipment!  I don't think there's an item of detecting equipment you haven't figured out how to customize or mod to suit your needs.

(Unfortunately a lot of the hemlocks are dying due to the woolly adelgid (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemlock_woolly_adelgid).

what a shame... first the ash trees and now the Hemlocks.  

6 hours ago, relicmeister said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That’s genius!!