White's MX Sport To MXT Coil Adapter

I have not used the coil on an MXT - those coils were for my DFX and V3i which share coils with the MXT. The coil however has a very good reputation with White's users.

Big coils on a VLF depend almost solely on the mineralization. In very low mineral ground they can add serious depth. They do see more ground. The problem is in medium bad ground the mineralization seen requires reductions in sensitivity that cause the extra depth potential to be negated. In very severe ground, a larger coil can actually get less depth than a more moderate size coil!

In a nutshell that is why you see very large coils used often on PI detectors but rarely on VLF detectors. PI detectors are more immune to ground effects. A large VLF coil is more often used just to get more ground coverage with extra depth more of a bonus. That can be of benefit where targets are sparse but works against you in trashy ground. Too many targets under the coil at once.

i have often chased the promise of larger VLF coils only to be disappointed. With VLF smaller is often better. Large coils on VLF detectors are usually only good for very specific niche uses.

• Like 1