Simultaneous Multi Frequency

HerrUU

I'm trying to figure out how SMF actually works. I get that the detector sends an electromagnetic signal through the coil and that it does so on multiple frequencies. But what I'm wondering is how it does this?

Does it send all frequencies through the coil at once and analyse the returned signal at once, or does it send the frequencies one by one in a rapid succession and analyse each return signal separately? The latter seems the more logical to me but I'm not an engineer. 

• Like 1

So, this technology is called Simultaneous Multi Frequency. It isn't called alternating multi frequency.

I realize "simultaneous" may not be simultaneous when we are talking about fractions of nano seconds but for my purposes that word works for me.

• Like 1

Technically, it's sequential, but so fast that it's not a stretch to call it simultaneous. Although the detector is combining the signal of each transmitted frequency, so I guess it's true simultaneous when it comes to the processing.

Locator,

I skimmed through your link, and it looks very interesting. Thanks 🙂

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Technically, it's sequential, but so fast that it's not a stretch to call it simultaneous.

Of course the speed at which it computes is too fast for us to comprehend but for the processing of the signal, there's quite a difference. To my understanding, if it were 1 pulse that was sent through several frequencies, the response would also be one signal coming back. This would not make sense for me (but again, not an engineer 😉 ). By sending several pulses at different frequencies in a sequence, even at a very fast rate, the software can analyse the responses separately as they also come back in a sequence. The software then analyses these signals and creates an 'image' of what's below. The more sweeps you make over the same target, the more information it receives and the better picture you get (got that from the 'Beginners Guide to the Legend').

This also explains for me how M1, 2 and 3 are all SMF but give a different result. The sequence is different and the used frequencies too, and the software analyses this differently depending on the chosen M-frequency and Program (park, field, ...)

@locator, thanks for the pdf. Great info 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...