Question On Coil Weights

DSMITH

there was a question posed by Carl on another site about does the coil weights of all the Legend coils, as to whether the weights listed for the Legend coils included the coil cable also.

can someone answer that question do manufacturers include the coil cable when they list a coils weight

my thoughts are the coil cable is part of the overall weight of a coil, is this correct

There is no standard/requirement/rule as to how coil weights are measured, AFAIK.  For example, suppose I want a weight.  Do I coil up the cable and make sure it is on the scale, or just let it dangle to the side (resting on the table)?  Do I include the coil cover which most everyone (not sure about water detectorists, though) uses when available?

Same thing with the manufacturers.  We've all seen examples where a company's marketing reps (spin-doctors?) say something misleading but arguably true.  If you want your coils to appear lighter than the competitors', there are a few ways to do that.  I don't have evidence this is done.  I also don't have evidence it's not.  You can accept what they say on trust or you can get someone to measure weights carefully or... rely on the curmudgeonly advice I tend to live by:  "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

I've pubbed coil weights here, all of which include the cable weight and say whether or not the cover is included in the weight.  I don't have the Nokta Legend, though, so won't be doing those.  But if someone hasn't done an independent weight for them yet, maybe ask nicely.  😁