Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Recovery Speed In Relation To Ground Mineralization

21 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

what is the optimal recovery speed for the given terrain? That - will depend on the strength of mineralization of the terrain...

Furthermore, it will also depend on the degree of contamination of the field with iron, because the higher recovery speed does not see the iron from the side of the coil as far as it is with the low recovery speed, and therefore the higher recovery speed better unmasks good signals in the field... which is covered with iron waste..

Quite so. The trade off for faster recovery is depth, and the more mineralized it is the harder it is to balance. The balance we have to strike is always dependent on conditions.

The first thing lost is as you say, deeper targets. Also smaller ones. And deciding which way to balance is also dependent on what we are after. The reason sensitivity falls in here is because you can use a little more of one if you use a little less of the other, and which way you balance is a function of what you are doing and where.  Hunting silver coins in iron is much different than hunting gold jewelry in junk aluminum.

Excellent discussion El Nino77. I really appreciate your technical knowledge of the subject, especially where it concerns unmasking. I consider that the key outcome for all this. We want good targets to separate out from the ground without falsing and be distinct from the junk. Easier said than done some days.

Despite not having to contend with highly mineralized ground, many of my hunting grounds are old residential buildings that have been torn down. These sites typically contain very little nonferrous trash, but they are the proverbial "bed of nails". Due to that bed of nails, then in a sense, it's "kind of" like having highly mineralized ground. 

I find that my default mid recovery speed is very fast, but in those iron infested sites I usually set my recovery speed to medium high, but never max it out. Additionally in these sites, I'll use a small to mid sized coil, a low iron bias, higher frequencies, and a slower sweep speed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Despite not having to contend with highly mineralized ground, many of my hunting grounds are old residential buildings that have been torn down. These sites typically contain very little nonferrous trash, but they are the proverbial "bed of nails". Due to that bed of nails, then in a sense, it's "kind of" like having highly mineralized ground.

In some ways that seems worse than mineralized ground because it is less uniform. My hat is off to ya, that is tough duty. 

Good discussion, Gentlemen.

• Like 3