Tid Vs Audio, The Deus 2 Schools Me Again!

On 4/4/2023 at 12:32 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Hopefully the upcoming update will address that.

I don't know? But we both seem to be having ferrous ID issues in our respective operating modes. 

There may be users getting a different response in clean ground. Could it be that Black Sand is the culprit? I know air testing does not give the issues I am seeing in the field. 
Almost like a breakdown of detection. Targets always appear to be bitey, to me and not crisp and clean. [i am running square tones] 

The problem: If I turn up filters to make some items sound better initially, the game might be lost in fringe targets.

Maybe this week I will try PWM sounds and see if the bitey responses smooth out. 
Thoughts? 

12 hours ago, midalake said:

This is where I find BIG ISSUES!  

Once a target will not TID, the D2 is lousy at giving hints at what might still be in the ground. Iron wrap-around sounds identical to deep non-ferrous that will not TID. I can clearly confirm these types of targets on the Equinox but cannot do so with the D2.
Different modes, different settings, nothing seems to help with deep non-ferrous.  The only hint I have found if you happen to get the machine to throw a number. Even if it is only one in 5-8 swings. Other than that, if you are at a wet salt beach or working in water>FORGET IT!   

Remember to investigate back and forth with pinpoint (vco) to get the shape. Use your imagination to see the shape that you hear🤫

7 hours ago, midalake said:

I don't know? But we both seem to be having ferrous ID issues in our respective operating modes. 

There may be users getting a different response in clean ground. Could it be that Black Sand is the culprit? I know air testing does not give the issues I am seeing in the field. 
Almost like a breakdown of detection. Targets always appear to be bitey, to me and not crisp and clean. [i am running square tones] 

The problem: If I turn up filters to make some items sound better initially, the game might be lost in fringe targets.

Maybe this week I will try PWM sounds and see if the bitty responses smooth out. 
Thoughts? 

Hmmm, I don't know if PWM would help that or not, but you have stated before that your black sand beach is some of the hardest sand around to detect, so I would definitely suspect that black sand, specially if you get good clean sounds in air tests.

A couple of thoughts... Do you clean out your coil cover out regularly? The black sand could be accumulating in there and causing some havoc. Are you running Full Tones? One thing I did notice is that in Pitch Tones, the bobby pins sounded like iron IDed lower but in Full tones, they sounded non-ferrous and IDed higher. 

9 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

but you have stated before that your black sand beach is some of the hardest sand around to detect,

I have moderate black sand. Not the hardest, but enough to affect every detector that I have tried here to some degree. 

Do you clean out your coil cover out regularly?

I do not run with the coil cover. 

Are you running Full Tones? One thing I did notice is that in Pitch Tones,

I agree, in Pitch programs there is even greater chances of ferrous breakthrough.

I am not running Full Tones. Just a basic two-tone with square audio.    

Man, I'm stumped. The only other thing I can think of, and I don't even know if this a real thing, but I recall some discussion about silent EMI. I didn't get into those discussions at the time, but if it is a thing, maybe that could be a cause. Does this happen at every beach you hunt or just that one?

5 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Does this happen at every beach you hunt or just that one?

Have some moderate EMI for three blocks on one end of the beach that seems to only affect the Equinox. The D2 seems to handle it just fine. I hunt two beaches and yes the bitey sounds are at both locations. 

Dang, I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I don't know if any other of the D2 beach hunters have experienced this or not, perhaps one of them will chime in. Meanwhile, a video was dropped today in the "New D2 Software" thread from an update beta tester leaking some new information about the V0.72 stating the update fixes iron problems, so let's hope that fixes it for you.

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Meanwhile, a video was dropped today in the "New D2 Software" thread from an update beta tester leaking some new information about the V0.72 stating the update fixes iron problems, so let's hope that fixes it for you.

There is about 10 days left in my season> too late for me! 🤬

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 7:56 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

I dug all the 57s

If I were looking for a title for this story I would use "that lucky 57"🤣

Of the rest with D2 I could tattoo "damn dig it all"🔥

On 4/6/2023 at 12:58 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Dang, I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I don't know if any other of the D2 beach hunters have experienced this or not, perhaps one of them will chime in

I have a little more time now so comments can be made on some changes made.
With regards to the breakdown of detection and targets sounding bitey, I found no real changes running PWM or Full Tones. 
A couple of things cleaned up the Black Sand chatter. Taking reactivity from .05 to 1 in Beach Sensitive helped. However, when I tried going to a Reactivity of 1 in Beach mode I did not like the results. 

Also compared beach and beach sensitive mode in full tones.  I hunted full tones in the 00-disc. setting. Interestingly enough the extra noise from ocean water and black sand was reduced. The bad part I also found. Deep targets are muted and do not stand out as well as compared to Square and PWM with Disc set at 22. When I found pockets of even more concentrated black sand the D2 had to be backed off in sensitivity and detection field breakdown and bitey sounding targets were even worse.

Final thoughts: The D2 no question struggles in Black Sand. The ability to identify wrap-around iron FROM non-ferrous targets that will not TID is not possible as these targets sound identical. 
The only chance is that the D2 throws a number.