Lg35 Experiences?

What do you think about the LG35 coil for those who have experience using it? 

I have a few hours now running mine, primarily on an elementary school field of about 12 acres (i.e., plenty of open ground to cover). I've found plenty of targets using the LG35 so far, even on ground I've swung over before with the stock LG28. Weird thing is, the targets I'm finding aren't really any deeper, as I'd have expected with bigger coil -- that outcome, however, could be more do to the relatively modern age of the field (late 1980s/early 1990s).

What I have notificed is difficulty pinpointing, and also the target depth on the Legend reading deeper for coins than they actually are. For example, I'm routinely finding my targets in the side wall rather than the plug, and digging a 4 bar target reading yields a coin at only 3-4" down.

Anyways, anything anyone wants to share about experiences/tips 'n tricks for using this coil is totally appreciated!

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

The depth meter is actually a signal strength meter. As such, edged coins will have a weaker signal than a coin lying flat, and will show deeper than they actually are. 

What pinpointing method are you using?

Excellent point, thanks! I understand now the need to pay more attention to the orientation of the exposed target relative to the surface of the plug/signal, which isn't something I've considered before. Good clue, there.

Pinpointing method...heh. Let me call it a "wiggle+" 😄? Pretty sure mine isn't the prescribed version, but it's what I've graviated to...and perhaps has room for improvement?

So once I get a repeat signal, I try to center it as best as possible via repeat signal strength on the center DD coil line and where the shaft connects to the coil itself, backing off and coming back at the original signal from various angles slightly outside the coil dimension. Once I think it's pretty well dialed in there, I move off the signal, press and hold the pinpoint button, and hit it again from a couple different angles.

That method suits me well on the stock 11" LG28 (targets are generally in the plug)  but I feel like I'm missing something on the pinpointing piece with the 13.5" x 12.5" LG35 version.

All I do is hone in on the target and wiggle side to side about 2 inches. The target is now centered in one dimension. Then I do the short and fast wiggle while moving the coil toward me. When the signal drops out the target should be just in front of the coil.

I also use the detune pinpointing method. What it does is cause the target to give a very short "blip" instead of a very long "bleep" when pinpointing. Basically, you hone in on the target and press the pinpoint button while the coil is over the target. With the pinpoint button still held in, slightly move the coil side to side and back to front. Stop when you catch that very short blip, and the target will be under the center of the coil.

As you use the bigger LG35 you will get better on your pinpoints. If you shorten the shaft an inch or two the coil will not seem any heavier than the stock LG28. This will also help on more accurate pinpointing.

The LG35 is an excellent coil all around.

Great advice, thanks!

I definitely ike the coil per 1) increased coverage, and 2) new finds on ground I've already hit. I just need to adjust a bit and get the pinpointing method down better for the spots I'm in. Looking forward to trying it out on "real" ground, vs. the moden elemetary school ground I currently use as a testing location.