Drag When Detecting In The Ocean W 11x13 Coil

619_805_okie

Took my d2 into 2-3 ft of waster today and discovered the first negative thing about the d2.  I'm running the 13x11 coil and the amount of drag caused swinging the coil was insane.  I think part of this was related to the flex in the lower shaft and the size of the coil but it really was tough. At times i felt like the lower shaft might snap if i tried to move too fast.

Anyone have any advice? Will the 9 inch coil solve this problem or do i need to invest in a different shaft?

Did you ever put the 12X15 Equinox coil in the water???  Yup, quite a treat. 

The stock rod for the Deus2 is inadequate for any water hunting in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, 619_805_okie said:

Will the 9 inch coil solve this problem or do i need to invest in a different shaft?

I replaced my stock rod with a custom CF rod.  I was not wild of water hunting with a 9" coil. My past opinion was a coil that size was too small on a salt beach. 

After the last three months of working the Deus 9"  , I have no plans of changing to a larger coil to hunt in the water. 

If I had a choice, it would be for a 10" coil for in the water. 

2 minutes ago, midalake said:

Did you ever put the 12X15 Equinox coil in the water???  Yup, quite a treat. 

The stock rod for the Deus2 is inadequate for any water hunting in my opinion. 

I replaced my stock rod with a custom CF rod.  I was not wild of water hunting with a 9" coil. My past opinion was that a coil that size was too small on a salt beach. 

After the last three months of working the Deus 9"  , I have no plans of changing to a larger coil to hunt in the water. 

I was thinking it was a combo of rad type and coil size. Thank you.

10 minutes ago, 619_805_okie said:

Is carbon fiber better? Any recommendations on where to get one?

Carbon fiber is just about indestructible and zero flex. Steve now has a replacement. 
http://www.stevesdetectorrods.com/list.php?Brand=1

BEFORE Steve had the replacement made, he helped me put together a shaft with my own custom mount that I built! 

IMG_1587.JPG

Carbon fiber is the way to go for zero flex. I have a Steve's Rod on order, but in the mean time I got a nokta simplex CF lower shaft and sanded it down a bit to fit the D2 coil and it works great.

15 hours ago, midalake said:

I bet a 10x5" coil would be great in the water (as long as it's waterproof, of course)! 😏

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I bet a 10x5" coil would be great in the water (as long as it's waterproof, of course)! 😏

Yes, it would be. If one puts a tape measure to the 9" Deus2 coil it actually reads more like 8 3/4. Even though it is a DD coil it still loses a little coverage at depth. A 10X5 coil would be more forgiving on coverage! 

I've used the 13" in the water with a SteveG shaft, and it's slow motion and it works ok, but it would tend to flop without a centering device. I would much rather use the 9" or have an elliptical option as well.

Not a water hunting fan overall. Feel like I'm on a planet with a heavy atmosphere. 😀 However, that is where the good stuff is. At least the 9" will make recovery quicker.

On 5/1/2023 at 1:53 AM, 619_805_okie said:

Took my d2 into 2-3 ft of waster today and discovered the first negative thing about the d2.  I'm running the 13x11 coil and the amount of drag caused swinging the coil was insane.  I think part of this was related to the flex in the lower shaft and the size of the coil but it really was tough. At times i felt like the lower shaft might snap if i tried to move too fast.

Anyone have any advice? Will the 9 inch coil solve this problem or do i need to invest in a different shaft?

I was forced to change shaft because using it to dive it was impossible to have the control box almost in front of the face🙄, but if you are standing and want to use the shorter length of the final, you can pour resin with hardener plugging the hole at the bottom.

This should give you torsional rigidity but also increase weight ⛑️...