High Discrimination To Focus Only On Coins?

PJ666

How about this scenario?

Walking on the field, not scanning every m3,  just cruising.
Deus2 settings:
Program Deep(up to 14 kHz), Leave the notch on 00-00 and set the discrimination from -6.4 all the way to 39. full tones, increased sensitivity, reduced reactivity to 1.5 , maybe 1
If I am coins orientated, I do not really care about anything else rather than a good signal(40+ for me). I do not have to hear anything else as I am not scanning the field, but always going forward, not coming back to the same location.

I tried this setup already and my D2 behaved quite well, to be honest. It seemed to get a bit deeper than the original Deep program, I could hear " less" noise.

The only question I have is: When using FMF on Deus 2 on the deep program, am I losing something in terms of finding the targets/identifying the sounds of good/false/bad targets?

I know I am missing something here. 

From my experience, if there is a iron presence in the ground you will have better luck leaving discrimination at 6.8 and notching from 7-40. This has worked very well for me. For some reason the D2 seems to be more sensitive to co-mingled targets this way. Try it in a spot that you have already covered. You will uncover non-ferrous in very close proximity to iron that you passed over with discrimination set to 40. If you have good soft digging conditions I would investigate any solid vdi number under 08 that gives you a crisp and clear high tone as well. This is coming from a relic Hunter and not a coin shooter. You will dig a little more iron this way but more than make up for it with good finds. 

If you give this a try on ground that you've already searched with your discrimination set high I would be interested in your feedback and thoughts.

3 hours ago, PJ666 said:

How about this scenario?

Deus2 settings:
Program Deep(up to 14 kHz), Leave the notch on 00-00 and set the discrimination from -6.4 all the way to 39. full tones, increased sensitivity, reduced reactivity to 1.5 , maybe 1
If I am coins orientated, I do not really care about anything else rather than a good signal(40+ for me). I do not have to hear anything else as I am not scanning the field, but always going forward, not coming back to the same location.

I tried this setup already and my D2 behaved quite well, to be honest. It seemed to get a bit deeper than the original Deep program, I could hear " less" noise.

The only question I have is: When using FMF on Deus 2 on the deep program, am I losing something in terms of finding the targets/identifying the sounds of good/false/bad targets?

If you're looking for coins then "Deep HC" (prog 6) is a good one.  Because it uses a lower frequency range than, say, "General (prog 1)" you risk missing out on some smaller items at depth (earring backs, cut quarter/half hammered coins etc.).

Raising Disc to 39 will make things sound quieter, but again, increases the risk that you may miss some smaller and/or masked non-ferrous targets.

Horses for courses, I think.

12 hours ago, PJ666 said:

How about this scenario?

Deus2 settings:

There are some great tips in the preveious answers. You mentioned you are running Full Tones, so I would point out that running your Disc at 39 will report any TID 39 and below as an iron tone and Full Tones blanks any iron tone above about 4 for an unknown reason. So your setting basically notches out anything in the Full Tone audio below 40. I think Draun's way of Disc at 6.8 and Notch 7-40 is a more efficent way to do that, although I'd lower the Disc to 4 for Full Tones use. Either way be aware some coins' TID can be dragged below 40 when in a high iron environment depending on size and conductivity.

10 hours ago, Dcraun said:

From my experience, if there is a iron presence in the ground you will have better luck leaving discrimination at 6.8 and notching from 7-40. This has worked very well for me. For some reason the D2 seems to be more sensitive to co-mingled targets this way. Try it in a spot that you have already covered. You will uncover non-ferrous in very close proximity to iron that you passed over with discrimination set to 40. If you have good soft digging conditions I would investigate any solid vdi number under 08 that gives you a crisp and clear high tone as well. This is coming from a relic Hunter and not a coin shooter. You will dig a little more iron this way but more than make up for it with good finds. 

If you give this a try on ground that you've already searched with your discrimination set high I would be interested in your feedback and thoughts.

thank you, that completely makes sense to me. Hopefully, I will be able to go out this Saturday and try it out. 

On 5/3/2023 at 12:33 AM, PJ666 said:

How about this scenario?

Deus2 settings:

Imo anytime one is going past 10 with (descrim) don't! Use notch instead it seems to be easier on machine and beneficial in my world. Could only be confidence with setup and finds or tn sharpshooter is on to something others as well. Depending on how much masking in ground with reactivity and also some programs seem to unmask better or worse with swing speed. Broadly speaking all things equal not extreme slow or fast,say swing speeds equal on a test target. One program may be best at reactivity 2 and one at 1 or 3. Also in ground how deep are your finds on average? If your not known to dig over 8,9" then reactivity 1.5/2 and up for me! I basically hunt in red clay or jacked up dirt too,depth really hasn't been a problem or rather 2/2.5/3 hit deep enough and give more benefit then harm is the point. Site depending, if trashy you'll be rewarded more with 2 and up. If clean let her eat by all means! If coins are your aim notch it all but 59-63 79-100. Pullrings,can slaw and nice bottlecaps with occasional bent nail will be your only or mostly the enemy you'll see!