The Legend And Emi

The real world is not always universal and often disregards what we "know".  That's why experimenting/testing for ourselves is the best way to learn.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JCR said:

The real world is not always universal and often disregards what we "know".  That's why experimenting/testing for ourselves is the best way to learn.

That's all well and good JCR🙂, but how exactly does that relate to the points I made in my previous post?

I ended my previous post's points with, "Am I missing something"? An example of that "something" could be that my sensitivity/depth tests were done with v1.09, and perhaps Nokta made changes to the sensitivity levels with v1.11?? Word on the Legend's Facebook page is that they did indeed do that.

In air tests with a coin using v1.09, going from the max of 30 sensitivity down to 12, results in about a 5" depth loss.  So ya, I find it impressive and possibly head scratching, that the tiny coin is detected at that depth, with the sensitivity at a mere 12.

I'm suggesting that you and I, and anyone else that wants to grow in becoming a better detectorist should experiment. Air tests are fine for what they are. So are in ground test. Each provide information, but the information that is more relevant is that which comes closest to duplicating actual field conditions of the sites we actually hunt.

As far as your points in this Thread, instead of assuming that you could extrapolate from your prior Air testing, why not duplicate the actual test as best you can?  I was impressed enough with the video that I did just that while at home for lunch today.   Not on a Medieval Hammered low alloy Silver coin. I haven't dug one of those yet, but I do have a moderately tainted 8" deep Copper Cent. Close enough for me.   Park  M3  12 Sensitivity LG 30 coil=a solid, repeatable, very soft hit.

I will never need to hunt with Sensitivity that low but it is good information and gives one confidence that the machine will perform when I need to run at 20 or 16. That's the point for me. Practical field use knowledge.

Also, there is no need to be so prickly and quick to want to prove your point in so many of your Posts. We are all here to help each other if we can. I enjoy a good exchange of thoughts & ideas but am not interested in reading or participating in arguments.

• Like 2

Except, I didn't make any assertions, nor did I try to prove anything, nor did I make any arguments toward anything. 

I merely pointed out my surprise that the coin can be detected with such a low sensitivity. How you interpreted that as being prickly, is beyond me.

• 1 month later...

I just got back from the most frustrating emi nightmare with the Legend. Middle of nowhere, woods and massive emi...it comes it goes...it waits until you get a tiny target then chatter fest. 

Can anyone please tell me, is this the Legend or is this a fact of life with any detector?

Are some detectors more resistant to emi?

How can there be so much emi when there are no houses, no power lines and no iron in the ground?

I am in the market for another detector either way, but is there a significant different in how certain detectors handle emi?

I will say, in most cases when I encounter emi, I can adjust my settings and I am good, but sometimes the emi is just unstoppable. 

Have you ever been to that location before? With a different detector?

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 5:09 PM, Dirtshark said:

How can there be so much emi when there are no houses, no power lines and no iron in the ground?

Do you still have your "EMI" with holding the coil still 3 feet in the air? 

Did any of the noise cancel channels help?