Manticore Shaft

21 hours ago, Fell Wanderer said:

I like how the shaft can twist when collapsed, fitting easier into a backpack . However, there is a tendency for the shaft to twist while detecting, which for me is only a minor issue. I am trying to be careful by not over tightening the camlocks as I don't know what is to tight. Perhaps I am being to careful, hence the shaft occasionally twists because I haven't learned the sweet spot between under/over tightening of the camlock.

I'm in the same boat, I don't want to crank too hard on the camlock adjust. It only takes a second to put your coil on the ground and rotate the main handle to straighten it out. I only need to do this once or twice during a hunt.

19 hours ago, OCBeepDigger said:

I've mostly been on the beach, in and out of the ocean to mid-thigh water.... absolutely zero problems! I do wish they would release the larger coil though... love the 15" for the beach.

15" for the win! I'm waiting/wanting too. Wonder if it will go deeper in addition to covering more area. Would be nice. 

On 5/20/2023 at 1:15 PM, Fell Wanderer said:

I like how the shaft can twist when collapsed, fitting easier into a backpack . However, there is a tendency for the shaft to twist while detecting, which for me is only a minor issue. I am trying to be careful by not over tightening the camlocks as I don't know what is to tight. Perhaps I am being to careful, hence the shaft occasionally twists because I haven't learned the sweet spot between under/over tightening of the camlock.

I understand your reluctance.  I suspect we've all been guilty of gorilla-ing a few times in our lives.  (Or more than a few...)  One of my two camocks was allowing the coil to easily get out of alignment so I did tighten the offending camlock a bit.  Now it's fine and nothing has failed so far.

I was at one stage using Vice grips to do up my GPX 6000 cam locks as the shaft design on it was pretty terrible and your coil could do a full 360 if you bumped a bush 😛.  The plastic cam locks didn't break, I can't imagine they'll break by tightening by hand, unless you're He-Man.

So put a bit of arm into it, they'll be fine.  If they break it's warranty anyway.

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I was at one stage using Vice grips to do up my GPX 6000 cam locks as the shaft design on it was pretty terrible and your coil could do a full 360 if you bumped a bush

😬 Pisspoor design. That's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, TampaBayBrad said:

😬 Pisspoor design. That's ridiculous.

yep! GotAu worked out how to fix it with a two 10 cent o-rings. 🙂

I really like the collapsible shaft. I bought some fabric material when I first bought the Manticore and made my own detector carry bag because all of the other bags were too large when folded up nicely. When I shorten the shaft lengths, I then turn the coil sideways so it fits into my newly sewn bag neatly.

In my opinion, I really like all aspects of the Manticore. It is very versatile and I can't wait to get my hands on the smaller M8 coil.

Hope it comes out soon!