Settings For Shallow Water Hunting Anyone Wants To Share

I find that when I am water hunting, I am constantly ground balancing because of hot rocks, black sand, and the ground changing all the time.

To compensate for this I turn down the sense and work from there. I do lose some depth, but I can detect with less noise and less falsing .

I found that one has to take the good with the bad when detecting creeks and streams, but the rewards are great if you just keep working at it.

9 hours ago, stateguy said:

Anyone have settings they want to share. 
I feel mine is falsing a lot and can’t tell if it’s a deep target or it’s a false target. 

Is this Salt water or fresh water? 

10 hours ago, stateguy said:

Salt water

I've been happy at my beach which doesn't have hot/black sand with this when IN the water:

Mode: Surf and Sea Water

Recovery speed: 4

Ferrous limits preset: upper 4, lower 0

Audio: Prospecting

Ferrous volume: 8

Main volume: 18

Horse shoe: on (all metal mode)

Tracking: off, ground balance in knee deep water

Sensitivity: as high as you can go, mine usually around 18

Multi-IQ frequency

Don't forget to long press noise cancel before setting up.

In the WET sand:

Same as above but use Beach Low Conductors mode. I can bump the sensitivity up to around 22-23. Ground balance at the water's edge.

Dry sand:

Beach Low Conductors, same as above but set ground balance to "0".

Have fun!

Also be aware that when in the water, any sudden change of your coil depth or angle will cause falsing. Keep the coil at the same height off the bottom (about 1/2"-1/4")and same straight/flat angle throughout  your entire swing width. Tilting the coil at the end of each swing will cause a false.

It takes patience to be so aware of the coil position when hunting in the water. If you hear a false, it's usually caused by you tilting or raising the coil abruptly.

When in very shallow water like a foot or two, waves can cause falsing due to the change in water height above the coil. It's tough to hunt really shallow water when there are waves.