Deus 2 Quick-connect Charger... Is This Possible?

Rattlehead

You guys are probably right. With my luck, I'd likely screw something up if I tried to do this. Wouldn't be the first time that one of my shade-tree modifications has completely destroyed a product. 😅 Oh well. I'll just continue using what I have and hope that XP offers a better solution with the next release (D3?). Thanks for the input!

On 7/13/2023 at 8:30 AM, F350Platinum said:

I imagine this relates somewhat with reluctance to be sued by "the other guys". 

Twisting the DIN connector to find the right spot leads fairly fast to failure of the cable at the plug, and the coil clip could be easily fixed if redesigned with the jack pointing in the other direction. 😀

I also dislike the length of the 3 leads. I don't want to compress the detector every time I put it to charge. Guess I'm just spoiled by "grab and go". If you have a custom shaft that is round, it's not as easy to do that.

However, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. I'm still thrilled with the D2 and WS6. You can use the old cord on the WS6 Master, which is easier to connect and has longer leads.

I wholeheartedly concur. It would be nice if I didn’t have to collapse my detector or take the remote off in order to charge simply because the mains cords are too short.  Then I have to readjust the length every time I go hunt.

Frankly, I have more problems with the coil charger. I have to hold my tongue just right to get it to connect. When I ease it back to the floor, the weight of the coil causes the charger to disconnect.  I have to watch it closely because the charge light might light up but then turn off a second or two later. When it does stay on I have to set it down carefully at an angle so the bottom of the charge clip doesn’t touch the floor.

As for the quick connect on the remote, I am guessing the D2 engineers were thinking of waterproofing rather than ease of access.  But, if you’re not planning on  leaving a quick connect plug in while diving, and getting a little water on the end won’t cause it to short circuit, then it may be possible.

I wish these things bugged me more as it would imply I’m getting more detecting time in and therefore recharging more. Anyway it’s an interesting topic and if a magnetic quick connection for charging the remote were available, I’d buy one. For the past few months I’ve been using the WS6 as master most often, but lately it’s been more like 50-50 with the remote. 

I really don't get, why they didn't go magnetic à la Equinox..

5 hours ago, Sinclair said:

I really don't get, why they didn't go magnetic à la Equinox..

Me either. Some quick connect magnets on both the coil and remote would've been so much better. I love the D2, but IMHO XP missed the boat on a few things like the cumbersome charging set-up and the lack of a functional stand.

..and a carbon fiber lower rod. Imho that thing wobbles like hell with the 28 coil.

5 hours ago, Sinclair said:

..and a carbon fiber lower rod. Imho that thing wobbles like hell with the 28 coil.

Yes, absolutely. I replaced mine with the one from Detect ED.  In my opinion, a CF lower rod should be standard equipment on any machine that costs more than $700.