My Test Garden With The Manticore

NJ Art

I have a 3x2x2 area of sugar sand that I cleaned out with about an inch of topsoil the rest of the test area is 6 inches of small chunks of coal with ash, slag and topsoil its thick and crunchy getting a shovel in, power lines are 50 feet away. The Core came with the new download, it was absolutely quiet which none of my Whites could accomplish in the coal and EMF without lowering the sensitivity and jumping through a few hoops to get them settled in that in itself was impressive. My test garden in the sand area is a large cent at 16 inches, a silver dime at 12 inches, silver quarter at 12 inches. In the coal area a v nickel with a rusty nail at 8 inches a silver dime at 10, and a copper at 18 inches. After 5 days of getting use to and trying all of the possibilities I settled on multi IQ, all terrain general with the ferrous sound at 1, pitch 1, 5 tone. I was able to take the sensitivity up to 33 and it was quiet, outstanding. All targets where recognized knowing where they were if I was just swinging I would have missed the dime at 10 and the 18 inch copper in the coal. The VDI numbers were lower on the deep copper and large cent, the 10 inch dime was scratchy through out all testing and the VDI was jumping around the low side probably has a large piece of coal in the hole with it.  The 12 inch dime was only good in one direction. The V nickel with iron was neat to see as it painted correctly in one direction.  I back loaded to the original stock settings and found it to be more chattery . All targets were slightly clearer, the 18 inch copper would have stopped me and the scratchy dime came in much clearer with a better VDI. Hopefully the original and updated version are as simple as a button push. My hunted out never hunted out places were waiting on a deeper machine. I did not run my DFX with a 13 inch coil in the garden as the EMF is bad. I did run the chattery MX7 through the garden with a 10 inch DD it found all the targets but the 10 inch dime. I really didn't think about coils when I purchased the manticore, the small coil would be great in iron patches but to get down deeper I was hoping to see a bigger coil for those deep plowed fields than a 12 inch coil 12x15 not a lot of depth over the stock coil for the money but better coverage I would think both field and beach. I do like my first ever Minelab its a pleasure to swing and well thought out.  Cant wait for the Fall to get it out in the field. To the beach I go.

That's a tough test garden. Good for you on learning a new machine.

Good post, thanks. The MX7 always surprises me with its performance, not perfect by any means but a very likeable detector…….I’ve got one eye on the Manticore and the other eye on my credit card balance so we’ll see how things go. 

(Sorry slightly off topic in this Minelab forum but drop the MX7 sensitivity back a bit and it will settle down with very little loss in performance)

37 minutes ago, Tony said:

(Sorry slightly off topic in this Minelab forum but drop the MX7 sensitivity back a bit and it will settle down with very little loss in performance)

For most of the sites I hunt, the same could be said for the Manticore.

- Dave

If I do melt the MasterCard on the Manticore then the first thing I’ll do is probably set the sensitivity somewhere around 15-20 and then go from there. 

Speaking of the sensitivity, testing on the 16 inch copper because it came in clear. I went from a 10 sensitivity to 35 while swinging over the large cent all sensitivity settings responded to the large cent there was never a change in the sound or pitch as the sensitivity was raised and the ID map stayed almost identical throughout, at 29 it shrank just slightly. I mostly swung Whites and increasing the gain or sensitivity always seemed to effect audio and the detectors reaction to the ground. Going back to the update to do more testing.

2 hours ago, NJ Art said:

I mostly swung Whites and increasing the gain or sensitivity always seemed to effect audio and the detectors reaction to the ground

It will react to the ground.. This is what I learn so far and in progress regarding sensitivity on my ground:

18-22  If I want to hunt pleasantly with Manticore tonal language experience and stable ID

23 to 25 the language get distorted kinda and the ID still can be use as reference

26 to 29 back to basic dig or no dig tonally and just to check if something down there or not. Manticore tonal language will be thrown out of the windows when I use this setting.. lol

On 8/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, fishersari said:

It will react to the ground.. This is what I learn so far and in progress regarding sensitivity on my ground:

18-22  If I want to hunt pleasantly with Manticore tonal language experience and stable ID

23 to 25 the language get distorted kinda and the ID still can be use as reference

26 to 29 back to basic dig or no dig tonally and just to check if something down there or not. Manticore tonal language will be thrown out of the windows when I use this setting.. lol

Thanks for the 26 to 29, may the Manticorian be with you. I'm very happy with the machine so far in the backyard. Looking forward to my season after the flying teeth, ticks and chiggers disappear.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:02 PM, Tony said:

If I do melt the MasterCard on the Manticore then the first thing I’ll do is probably set the sensitivity somewhere around 15-20 and then go from there. 

Good plan- just bump it up from there until it get's too chatty for you then bump it down one. Don't forget to do a long press noise cancel before setting the sensitivity.