I'm New! Where To Start?

MkeBlack

I've had my X Terra Pro for a week no and I suspect that I'm hooked. Turned it on and went with the factory default settings. Good fun. Found lots of trash 🙂

Where's a good place to start exploring the features. Lots to learn and I'm finding, initially, that its a bit overwhelming. What feature would you suggest that I start experimenting with? 

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike, and welcome.

Right off, I wouldn't suggest doing a lot of experimenting. I don't run an X terra Pro, but you did the right thing right off going with the factory default settings and I would suggest staying with them until you get some good time in with the unit. Listen to the tone differences between various items of trash and coins and simply get real familiar with the unit. If you know of a tot lot hit it early Sat or Sun morning when know one is around and dig/scrape up targets. Typically such a spot will have some varied targets and nice numbers of coins. Good luck, have fun, it's a terrific hobby. HH Jim Tn

• Like 2

Good advice from Jim. Welcome to the hobby & forum from East Texas.

• Like 1

The manufactures use very experience operators to set the defaults for the best setting for most conditions that their buyers will use them in. When you have hunted out your spots, that is the time to find better setting for your locations by playing with different settings. Best of luck on the way to becoming an expert but a lot of detecting hours whoops I meant days or years is required to get to that level. 

On 8/22/2023 at 3:02 PM, jim tn said:

Hi Mike, and welcome.

Right off, I wouldn't suggest doing a lot of experimenting. I don't run an X terra Pro, but you did the right thing right off going with the factory default settings and I would suggest staying with them until you get some good time in with the unit. Listen to the tone differences between various items of trash and coins and simply get real familiar with the unit. If you know of a tot lot hit it early Sat or Sun morning when know one is around and dig/scrape up targets. Typically such a spot will have some varied targets and nice numbers of coins. Good luck, have fun, it's a terrific hobby. HH Jim Tn

Thanks Jim!

I am taking your advice. Really enjoying it. I have been finding some very strange things in some very strange places 🙂 

Such fun.

Mike

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 3:51 PM, geof_junk said:

The manufactures use very experience operators to set the defaults for the best setting for most conditions that their buyers will use them in. When you have hunted out your spots, that is the time to find better setting for your locations by playing with different settings. Best of luck on the way to becoming an expert but a lot of detecting hours whoops I meant days or years is required to get to that level. 

That's a very good point Geof. Thanks. Mike