Hurricane Idalia Results

Tampa Bay Brad… You’re absolutely right about the sanded In conditions in the water. Hardly any targets out there so I’ve been concentrating on the beach until the sweat is dripping off my elbows, then into the water for awhile to cool off. 

25 minutes ago, okara gold said:

Tampa Bay Brad… You’re absolutely right about the sanded In conditions in the water. Hardly any targets out there so I’ve been concentrating on the beach until the sweat is dripping off my elbows, then into the water for awhile to cool off. 

I will be doing the same tomorrow morning. Hoping for a couple water targets because I don't like the sun/heat either. Recently bought some waterproof earbuds for Manticore off ebay so I can wear a wide brim hat while detecting. Been using them for 5 or 6 hunts so far, they work great. Much cooler without regular earphones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Some of the many variations available; this beind a few of the more common! If we could turn lead to gold....🍀👍👍

I am sure you could find a photo filter that would do the job…. 😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, okara gold said:

Congrats on a very nice hunt. At least your hurricane hunt got silver & gold ! (unlike mine 😭). So when the ocean starts pushing back some of that sand back onto the beach from the swim area, is that the time to hit the swim area again. Maybe it deposited all the gold there when it ripped the upper beach clean. Only the heaviest targets remained up top (lead). I'd keep an eye on that swim area and as soon as targets start to show up again, maybe a chance for some gold. Or am I way off? 😅

• Like 3

Congrats on the gold and silver! Interesting comments about the sand movement during this event. Beach erosion can make for a dream hunt but that sand has to go somewhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Congrats on a very nice hunt. At least your hurricane hunt got silver & gold ! (unlike mine 😭). So when the ocean starts pushing back some of that sand back onto the beach from the swim area, is that the time to hit the swim area again. Maybe it deposited all the gold there when it ripped the upper beach clean. Only the heaviest targets remained up top (lead). I'd keep an eye on that swim area and as soon as targets start to show up again, maybe a chance for some gold. Or am I way off? 😅

I think you're right about the movement of sand back onto the beach. The lighter sand gets pushed up leaving the heavies behind. I know that a strong current that runs parallel to the beach can move lots of sand to another part of the beach yet leaving it still in the water and create a deep trough that has lots of goodies. Some of the beaches I hunt are constantly changing. I would love to have that GPX 5000 right about now. 😁

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, okara gold said:

I think you're right about the movement of sand back onto the beach. The lighter sand gets pushed up leaving the heavies behind. I know that a strong current that runs parallel to the beach can move lots of sand to another part of the beach yet leaving it still in the water and create a deep trough that has lots of goodies. Some of the beaches I hunt are constantly changing. I would love to have that GPX 5000 right about now. 😁

I would love to have that GPX 5000 waterproofed 😄.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Great hunts, OG, well done and congrats on the silver and gold and also for finding both halves of the broken gold ring! There's an interesting donut looking sinker next to a tenet peg in one of your photos that looks like it has some age to it. 

I may have broken the ring when digging it. It was two scoops down in a rather hard packed layer and when I dumped the second scoop of sand and gave it a light kick, I and saw a glimpse of the gold ring. I picked it up and checked the pile again hoping the other half was there and sure enough, a nice sounding target. Two halves made the whole! 😊

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 3:12 AM, okara gold said:

I was definitely expecting gold when I came upon a large flat section that had sinkers about every other target, I dug about 30 the first time I hunted it. Went back the next day and must have dug another 20 or so, but no gold.  Good thing I didn't bet my paycheck that I'd find gold. lol

We had an event several months ago where about 8 guys had multi-gold and sinkers that were about 1/2 - 2 ounces. Also tons of clad. I got tired of the crowd and moved down the beach towards the pier. This area supports a large parking lot , more people and....fishing. So there was only 1 other newbie digging coins and tells me there's sinkers everywhere ! Ok , I'm working down in the low wet and digging shallow 1 scoop , 4-6oz sinkers. Got about 15 before I gave up. My bags were dragging me down. I found coins. But I thought for sure I'd find gold , instead 0 near the pier. Still a great hunt for the day but was expecting more from this particular "weighted" spot.

• Like 5