Looking For / At Some Scoops ?

I've had for yrs a couple of hand held scoops , the one I like the least is made with sheet metal with about 1/4" holes punched  - didn't like it because only very loose sand / dirt would go through .

Nest was one made from welded wire - this one would breakup wet sand & dirt clumps ok .

What I am asking about is what I have seen on YT channels made from stainless & around 4' poles [ for us older hunters ] to not have to bend over 😉

I saw a brand [ I forget ] at a local detector shop - but is was made from thin sheet metal that I did not think it would survive pushing with foot into beach sand ?

Buying online does not tell much about quality ?

Lastly hoping to find a used one [ to afford ] seems like $500 there about / with handle for a little discount ?

So what brands are up to heavy use -- puching into wet beach sand with foot ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KD0CAC said:

I've had for yrs a couple of hand held scoops , the one I like the least is made with sheet metal with about 1/4" holes punched  - didn't like it because only very loose sand / dirt would go through .

Nest was one made from welded wire - this one would breakup wet sand & dirt clumps ok .

What I am asking about is what I have seen on YT channels made from stainless & around 4' poles [ for us older hunters ] to not have to bend over 😉

I saw a brand [ I forget ] at a local detector shop - but is was made from thin sheet metal that I did not think it would survive pushing with foot into beach sand ?

Buying online does not tell much about quality ?

Lastly hoping to find a used one [ to afford ] seems like $500 there about / with handle for a little discount ?

So what brands are up to heavy use -- puching into wet beach sand with foot ?

There are several good ones out there. I have used the Stavr and Stealth scoops. Both are strong enough to work through rocky sand but the tips will wear down after years of use. I believe that the Sito scoops are pretty durable from what I have heard. Carbon fiber handles are not cheap but are light, strong and long lasting - highly recommended.

• Like 2

CooB scoop, most are 2mm stainless, tough stuff. Avoid thinner metal. I've had one for 3 years now and it still looks new, it's kinda heavy but I added a SteveG carbon fiber shaft and a Raptor pull handle. Weighs about 4 pounds total.

https://www.amazon.com/CooB-Detecting-Stainless-Detector-ProSeries/dp/B07CZYTTJH

Raptor handle:

https://www.amazon.com/Raptor-Pull-Handle-Sand-Scoops/dp/B01MT248MD

When I go to a beach that is less pebbly and had fewer rocks and finer sand, I have a Dune Titanium scoop, also on a SteveG shaft. It weighs about 2 pounds. Titanium is strong but it tends to bend with prying.

https://www.amazon.com/Dune-Scoops-Titanium-Beach-Detector/dp/B0C1HL6VLD

Other scoops are great but these are affordable.

• Like 3

I have and like my CKG scoop which is reasonably priced.

CKG Scoop link

If you want to go cheap and don't mind the extra weight, get one of their stainless scoops and pair it with a shovel handle from Home Depot for a little over $100. If you don't mind spending a little over $300, get one of their titanium scoops with their one piece carbon fiber handle like I did. Super light weight. One piece handle is stronger than the two piece travel handle.

The Raptor pull handle is a good addition for yanking a whole scoop full of sand out of a hole. I have mine mounted about 18" down from the top end of the handle.

If you are a prime member, their stuff is on Amazon also.

• Like 3

Dang you guys 😉 

Not to figure out from many options 

No hurry , ground will be frozen here soon , no option for snow-birding this yr. ;( 

Thanks 

i use this scoop on the Mississippi river.  http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgaluminumscoops.htm

RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" WATER SCOOP with SS Tip (#RTGBB6tip)
Our price: $164.95

Here is another version of our 6” aluminum water scoop. This scoop is the same as our RTGBB6 scoop with an added stainless steel tip on the end of the scoop. The tip is made of 16 gauge non-magnetic stainless steel. This lightweight shallow water and beach scoop has 5/8" diameter holes punched into the sides and the back of the scoop. The aluminum bucket of the sand scoop is 6 " in diameter by 11" long. The aluminum 1-1/4" diameter handle is welded to the top at a 20 degree angle so you can use your foot on the back of this scoop to push it into the sand. There is a T-top reinforced aluminum brace to give this scoop extra durability. The handle is 40" long giving the scoop an overall length of approximately 48". The handle has a rubber hand grip for comfort. Made in the U.S.A. by Reilly's Treasured Gold. This is an excellent choice for a long handle scoop. We offer a 90 day limited warranty against manufacturing defects.

• Like 1

I just received this barely used Sito scoop today. The build quality looks outstanding and the 2mm thick steel looks and feels pretty strong.

IMG_20231020_163102.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 6:17 PM, F350Platinum said:

CooB scoop, most are 2mm stainless, tough stuff. Avoid thinner metal. I've had one for 3 years now and it still looks new, it's kinda heavy but I added a SteveG carbon fiber shaft and a Raptor pull handle. Weighs about 4 pounds total.

https://www.amazon.com/CooB-Detecting-Stainless-Detector-ProSeries/dp/B07CZYTTJH

Raptor handle:

https://www.amazon.com/Raptor-Pull-Handle-Sand-Scoops/dp/B01MT248MD

When I go to a beach that is less pebbly and had fewer rocks and finer sand, I have a Dune Titanium scoop, also on a SteveG shaft. It weighs about 2 pounds. Titanium is strong but it tends to bend with prying.

https://www.amazon.com/Dune-Scoops-Titanium-Beach-Detector/dp/B0C1HL6VLD

Other scoops are great but these are affordable.

I've heard that the Raptor handles are not intended for carbon fiber shafts. I wonder if it depends on the carbon fiber wall thickness?

10 minutes ago, Compass said:

I've heard that the Raptor handles are not intended for carbon fiber shafts. I wonder if it depends on the carbon fiber wall thickness?

Good question. 🙂 I'm not having any problems with my two CF shafts, the Raptor handles come with rubber inserts that should be used. My CF shafts are from SteveG who probably uses thicker carbon fiber, I've used these scoops all summer with no problem, even with wet heavy muck. Overtightening bolts is probably the culprit.

I don't, and won't, use a scoop to try and move a large rock. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1