Artifact Finds Probably 100 Years Newer Than I Hoped

13 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Other than a few minutes in my backyard, this was my first real opportunity to use V2.

If you get a chance, give Relic a try. I went hunting with Chase, and we both had a feeling that it didn't use as much battery as before on a whole day hunt. In prior versions I didn't like it, and it could be because of using it with the 13" coil, but this time I found it to be very quiet until a target was near the coil, and iron falsing was almost nil.

I did modify it a bit to High Square and pushed Audio Filter but that's personal preference.

Interesting you use the remote pinpointer to determine depth, Audio Response can also help with that, but it also can miss deeper targets if it's too low.

It's just a feeling but I'll assert XP made the Deus 2 much better than it was in nearly every aspect.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went back to this site, lined up on where I found the Mercury at the end of the last day, and within about 5 feet hit a sporadic high tone amongst the nails with my modified fast program.  Dug down and hit about a 3 inch root from a long vanished tree. I managed to yank it out of the way and the next cup I pulled underneath it had a clean high tone.  It was another 1944 Philadelphia Mercury!

I proceeded to grid the immediate vicinity from one direction and found two mid 50s wheats.

I also found a 2.75 pound, 6-inch brass ring with two small label plates.  One says HEEK IN.  The other says N – 1654-52.  There is also a 36 stamped in the ring next to one of the labels.  I am guessing this may be some motor part?  Sad thing is, with the price of scrap brass, this might be worth more than the Mercury dimes…

In addition, I found something with a strong quarter signal (93) which I first thought was part of a hubcap.  But then I found another one about 30 feet away with the same exterior pattern.  The second one was mashed flat and had a little handle.  So they are actually little tea cups.  I showed them to my mom.  She recognized the pattern and is certain she had cups just like it when she was a little girl back in the 40s.

So once again, it seems like all the artifacts are from the 1940s and 1950s. I know this site was used in the 1850s. Hopefully I will find some thing that old!  Still, I can’t argue with two Mercury dimes in close proximity.

F6C88345-4A87-4262-AA03-C2F5C616F612.jpeg

7F285E09-EEE2-458F-9B61-8BB79E3B7D7F.jpeg

7945E1DE-E04D-4782-9EF4-C2B65AA93DA2.jpeg

CB126CB4-25A3-4419-B90D-1F82A02CE5A4.jpeg

• Like 5