Opinion On A Metal Detecting Video Game?

MrGreen

I've noticed a lack of metal detecting games on Steam, and many of them appear to be abandoned by their developers. Determined to fill this gap, I've decided to create my own. To ensure it aligns with the interests of the metal detecting community, I'm reaching out for input.

Currently, the game includes metal detecting with over a hundred 3D models, each created by me, featuring various prices and rarities. Players can upgrade their metal detector, and there's an option for both manual and auto metal detection. The manual mode allows free movement, while the auto mode scans from left to right.

For the shoveling aspect, players shovel the ground, revealing dirt. If the shovel is directly above treasure, it will emerge after a few shovels. I'm in the process of adding a crouch feature. After using the main shovel, players can crouch and employ a handheld shovel to further dig around the treasure. Once found, you clean and catalog it, adding it to your inventory.

At nighttime, you have the option to set up camp to recharge your equipment. Additionally, you can upgrade your camp to give it a unique look and feel that reflects your personal style.

When you sell your treasures, you'll have the opportunity to purchase upgrades for your equipment. Moreover, you can buy pets, improve your camping site, and invest in vehicles for enhanced transportation. To further enrich the experience, I'm considering the addition of houses that you can buy, allowing you to furnish them to your liking. Additionally, smaller tools like lockpicks, a torch, and various apps for your in-game phone will be available for purchase.

I've implemented quests for players to complete, offering valuable rewards and items for sale. Currently, I'm also crafting a captivating backstory for the game, complete with a twist ending.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts and any features you'd like to see in the game to make it a solid and enjoyable experience for all.

The existing games have been pretty boring, and I think this is what you would struggle with, the drive to the spot is more exciting than the metal detecting action itself so having a vehicle and driving around the town to the spots would be more fun than doing the detecting for a game player 🙂  If you can overcome the actual metal detecting is quite a slow boring thing to do for a game somehow.  

It's hard to turn a monotonous task where you just go out, shut your brain off and wander around for a few hours hoping to stumble across something worth finding into an exciting game, hopefully you can do it.

I think a knitting game would be more fun, where you control the needles, have to use the controls to get the actions going and the pace right to make a beanie! 

You have some good ideas; the house thing might be going too far but it will be good to see how you go with it and if it can be somehow turned into something that people would like to play.

Thank you for your feedback; I completely agree with the challenge of keeping players entertained. One suggestion I received from a metal detecting Discord was to incorporate a historical story element. When players find items, they would trigger flashbacks to the past. Another idea involved uncovering strange buried items, like a bullet with blood or a knife, leading to a mysterious storyline. As you find these items, the player could experience a growing sense of threat, receiving stalker-like messages on their in-game phone as they get closer to unveiling the secrets behind the buried items

It sounds like a very novel idea,but the market for a metal detecting game and the folks who would actually part with money the buy it would be very very small i would have thought....of course i seriously hope that i am wrong and you make a go of it.

I would suggest watching the British series program "The Detectorists".  It was a humorous, but realistic take on metal detecting and what drives people to do it.  It incorporated a quirky storyline based on finding a particular legendary treasure and other plot points (competition and tension between rival detecting clubs, interpersonal relationships, romances, and jealousies) but was also very realistic in some key essential aspects of treasure hunting:  historical research and the complexities and nuances involved with obtaining/negotiating permission from the landowner to access private land that holds the promise of treasure.  Incorporating the detective story type clues associated with doing prospective site research and the give and take aspect of obtaining permissions (e.g., what finds you may have to give to the landowner as compensation for site access) and ensuring that you do not stray from your permitted detecting areas (risking prosecution or personal injury) might provide additional realism and hold the interest of potential game players.  FWIW.

It was also very popular with those that have no interest at all in metal detecting, which brings in a bigger market of customers.

There is one for 99 cent on steam with top down view not exactly a simulator lol. Also this one for $9.99 which allows you to fist fight other detectorists

steam://openurl/https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/582810/ss_d8cc33fe1d07d0f58b8ba11e673e3fe8c58178a8.1920x1080.jpg?t=1599990892

Consider using the latest UT engine? Probably more suitable for realism as far as game engines go.