My First Impressions Of The Manticore

Compass

I just completed my 3rd hunt with the Manticore. It is a very small sample size but here are my initials thoughts on the detector.

It seems more powerful than the Nox 800. I haven't seen any extreme depth but, to me, it hits much harder and more definitively on targets. The handle vibration feature further enhances this sensation as well, IMO. 

I keep forgetting to look at the 2d screen but I like the combination of tones and black/red TID numbers which really help the non-ferrous targets jump out.

2 of these first 3 hunts were in the salty wet sand of back bay areas and other hunt was in shallow fresh water. The Manticore performed similarly well in both environments. Many times already have I heard/found good targets amongst other nearby targets both ferrous and non-ferrous. On 1 particular spot I had a persistent 80's TID peeking through a number of lower fluctuating TIDs. I scooped up a pencil fragment with its eraser holder followed by a small lead fishing weight before finding the last target in the hole - a clad dime.

I have yet to find gold with my Manticore but I have found silver on each of my first 3 hunts with it. My most recent hunt yielded a 1928 penny,  1920 & 1944 dimes and a 1919 nickel. I don't think any of my other 7 detectors could have found all 4 of these coins which I think is an indication of the Manticore's ability to sniff out desirable targets. 

Much more testing is needed but my early results are encouraging.

IMG_20231126_190840__01.jpg

M-Core on the beach is a no brainer...I found it to hit coins similar in depth to my tdi pro...may get rid of the tdi now..some people are still having problems with it in the dirt...they will figure it out eventually. Lots of adjustments user friendly screen..you get the big coil for it? I here they are trickling out...

strick 

38 minutes ago, strick said:

M-Core on the beach is a no brainer...I found it to hit coins similar in depth to my tdi pro...may get rid of the tdi now..some people are still having problems with it in the dirt...they will figure it out eventually. Lots of adjustments user friendly screen..you get the big coil for it? I here they are trickling out...

strick 

In the buy and sell section there is a user who is looking for a TDI pro and would trade it for his manticore.  in case you haven't seen it

35 minutes ago, strick said:

strick 

Thanks Strick, I do have the M15 coil and have tested but not hunted with it yet. I was actually going to use it on this most recent hunt but forgot to bring it with me! 

1 minute ago, Luis said:

In the buy and sell section there is a user who is looking for a TDI pro and would trade it for his manticore.  in case you haven't seen it

That user would be me Luis. 🙂 I would prefer to buy a TDI Pro without trading my Manticore or BeachHunter but whatever it takes.

59 minutes ago, Compass said:

That user would be me Luis. 🙂 I would prefer to buy a TDI Pro without trading my Manticore or BeachHunter but whatever it takes.

I should have noticed before😅

The only reason I'm keep the pro right now is that I have a clean sweep coil that I really like...honestly I dont get to the big salt water beaches all that much...mostly hunt junk infested beaches here around the delta...

strick

On 11/27/2023 at 8:17 AM, Luis said:

So in the "buy and sell section" there was a listing for a nice TDI Pulse Scan. The price seemed very reasonable so I was able to purchase it and still hang on to my Manticore. I'm now ready for some winter beach erosion. 

Ok, wow. Coming from an 800 this is crazy.  A lot to learn.

I live in Wichita Kansas so not a lot of beaches here.  But… I did use it at some of our sandpit parks and it preformed amazing. Lots of coins and a sterling silver bracelet.  
In the dirt is where I am struggling and I know it’s all me.  Having a hard time with numbers and screen plus tone.  It will take time.  

2 hours ago, lcampbell165 said:

Ok, wow. Coming from an 800 this is crazy.  A lot to learn.

I live in Wichita Kansas so not a lot of beaches here.  But… I did use it at some of our sandpit parks and it preformed amazing. Lots of coins and a sterling silver bracelet.  
In the dirt is where I am struggling and I know it’s all me.  Having a hard time with numbers and screen plus tone.  It will take time.  

I agree that it will take time to better understand what the Manticore can do. I also think that learning the detector is a lot easier in the sand than in the dirt- signal, quick scoop and instant feedback. Someday I'll try the Manticore in the dirt/grass but hopefully by then I'll know a lot more about the machine.