Who Uses The Armband?

Lodge Scent

Just curious if anyone uses the armband for the Deus 2 controller? I had been using my D1 with the controller on the shaft for about a year before I went to the armband.  I used the armband for the next 5 years before I got the D2. The reason I went to the armband on the D1 was that I hunt in the woods and I had the controller pop off a few times. The last time it popped off I spent a semi-frantic 30 minutes looking for it before I found it.

Wearing the controller on the armband had 2 unexpected benefits. One, it made be focus more on the audio and that really helped accelerate me become proficient with the D1. The second benefit was the pleasure of being able to literally just toss your detector to the side when you went to dig a hole to recover a target. Don’t laugh at how convenient that is until you try it. 😁 As long as your coil is on the ground when you drop the shaft, there is really nothing that can break.

When I got the D2, I used it with the controller on the shaft. Then a couple of months ago, I got tired of the controller popping off, even though I didn’t lose it because I have the tether. It was still very annoying. So I got my D1 armband and squeezed the D2 controller into it. Now I wish I had done that a couple of years ago. Once again, I am paying more attention to the audio, less to the screen and I feel it has raised my game. Like any other endeavor, confidence is half the battle when it comes to detecting.  

XP hasn’t made an armband for the D2 but you can squeeze it in to the D1 armband without much difficulty. It is still easy to change programs and setting while wearing it on your arm or take a quick peak at a VDI if you wish. But the fact that is isn’t staring you in the face makes it easier to not over focus on it.

And don’t underestimate the joy of being able to toss your beloved detector aside without any negative consequences. 😆

Lodge

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lodge Scent said:

it made be focus more on the audio

I don't use an armband, RC still mounted onto the shaft - but I can double that so far, that I afterwards even think, the WS6 Master would have been totally sufficient for me and only half the price 🙄. In conjunction with the WSAII you could still use the Watchband or mount it to the shaft. Only downside: No XY-screen. The Deus is an "audio machine". The display is too small and contains too much information, imho. Don't like the font either.. I feel like I'm always double-checking the numbers, where on the Nox one glimpse is enough. I also use a tether.. imagine that thing comes of while waterhunting..🙈
If there's some time, I might design a diffent mount and 3D print it. How ever, I go by tone 90% of the time.

PS: Reaching the Pinpoint button the RC is also a pita. For me the remote should be mounted a little bit higher and more recessed - another reason I don't really use/need it at the moment.

• Like 2

That's interesting, Lodge Scent. I have my remote tethered as well, but I like the idea of forcing yourself to listen more carefully to the the audio. I try to hunt by tones, but sometimes I just get lazy and watch the ID too much and when I do that I dig more junk. I may have to try your arm band idea. There are a bunch of different phone arm bands on Amazon that would probably work for the D2 remote. Hmmm... Thanks for the idea! 😏

• Like 1

Sinclair, yeah the W6 on the wrist and WSII headphones is next. I already use the WSIIs and have the W6 and just bought the watchband. I agree, the pinpoint button is definitely a PITA especially when wearing gloves. I just put one of those little clear silicone nubs on it a few weeks ago and it helps a lot.

CPT, I couldn't agree more about watching the ID and digging more junk. But I was surprised at how quickly my brain adjusted to not having the controller staring at me and how the audio now just seems more natural. I still take peeks and I do like to check an adjacent program now and then over a target, but I am definitely less distracted and more focused. Yeah some of those phone arm bands would work great.

• Like 1

I’ quickly became a big fan of just listening to the machine with the remote on my belt or pocket in the factory belt/flip case. I considered the arm band but I’m always switching between programs and settings while investigating a target, and it’s more convenient or possible to do so with one hand free. A glance of target ID can be had with any remote placement, but I’ve personally deprioritized target ID in favor of full tones or pitch feedback. 

• Like 2

Only "drop of bitterness": When you're waterhunting or even diving, you won't get around mounting the RC to the shaft. That's the main reason I've bought the RC + WSAII combo. We'll better don't talk about that goofy antenna setup thing .. 😁
I once saw a guy using the WS6, running the long antenna attached to his cap .. may work, but .. yeah 🥴

16 hours ago, TJ Jeepguy said:

I’ quickly became a big fan of just listening to the machine with the remote on my belt or pocket in the factory belt/flip case. I considered the arm band but I’m always switching between programs and settings while investigating a target, and it’s more convenient or possible to do so with one hand free. A glance of target ID can be had with any remote placement, but I’ve personally deprioritized target ID in favor of full tones or pitch feedback. 

I am also a big fan of full tones and sometimes pitch. I found my D2 flip case yesterday and I'm going to give that a shot and see how I like it. I think that could be just the ticket. 😉

• Like 2

Well I gave the D2 Flip Case a go on a relic site a couple of days ago and actually liked it. I did pay more attention to the tones and felt like I was doing as well as I normally do, but a few hours into the hunt I ended up mounting the remote back on the shaft.

The main reasons were because it made it quicker and easier to jump between programs for checking signals and also hitting the pinpoint button to size suspected big targets. I was carrying my shovel in my left hand and swinging the detector with my right, so that meant I had to stop and plant the shovel to open the flip case. Maybe an armband would have worked better in this case, IDK. 🤔

I could hunt either way, but I just like having those few extra tricks at thumb's length. 😎 

• Like 3