How To Pair Nox 700 With Oticon More Bluetooth Hearing Aids?

stephent

Is there a trick to pairing Bluetooth devices other than the Minelab headphones, or is the 700 only compatible with them? I have the Oticon More hearing aids which have the latest BT technology, and they are compatible with all kinds of phones, laptops, tablets, etc. yet they don't seem to pair with the 700. At least by using the wireless pairing button. Thank you.

Stephen

Not sure if it helps but I have the Miracle ear hearing aids with the latest BT technology and they wont pair with my Nox 900. It seems Minelab BT will only work with Minelab wireless headphones, Even when they introduce a transmitter to use other brand headphones it wont help with hearing aids .  It sucks

Thanks for the quick reply Zaj56!

I have some additional information after some research. It seems that the Nox detectors use the VERY latest Bluetooth technology, called AptX. The reason for this choice is the latency (delay) issue when detecting. The newer AptX Bluetooth chips are so fast that there is virtually no delay between the detector audio and when you hear it via the AptX connection. The older A2DP technology, which your HAs share with my Oticons is not compatible.

Probably the next generation of HAs will incorporate this newer tech and we'll be all set. Thanks again,

Stephen

5 hours ago, stephent said:

Is there a trick to pairing Bluetooth devices other than the Minelab headphones, or is the 700 only compatible with them? I have the Oticon More hearing aids which have the latest BT technology, and they are compatible with all kinds of phones, laptops, tablets, etc. yet they don't seem to pair with the 700. At least by using the wireless pairing button. Thank you.

Stephen

Zaj56 is correct. The wireless audio signal is proprietary for the Manticore, 900/700 and Xterra Pro. This has been a bone of contention with many Minelab users, myself included.

33 minutes ago, Zaj56 said:

I  hope so Stephen but if Minelab makes it proprietary(and they do) there isn't much the HA companies can do.

Its bad enough for the average Md'r but a double whammy for guys who use hearing aids. Not sure if I ask you this before, what part of SW Pa are you located / Do you ever get up to hunt the old parks in Pittsburgh ?

Thanks Folks

The AptX is not proprietary to Minelab, it's just another upgrade to Bluetooth tech. It IS proprietary to QUALCOMM. But if the information (from Minelab) is correct, if you have HAs that can run this new AptX Bluetooth, you can listen to audio from the NOX detectors. My study also found that audio devices that can run AptX are increasing, including other headphones which will work with the NOX detectors.

The main value in the AptX tech is the low latency, which I'm not sure will be needed in HAs. (I have one of the newest BT HAs, the Oticon More) Latency doesn't seem to be an issue with current HAs.

The latency problem is driven by the need for speed. While swinging a detector you obviously want the audio to instantly report a find.

I'm new to detecting, but a scientist, so I will continue to monitor and hope for a HA solution (and report).

Stephen

10 hours ago, markinswpa said:

Its bad enough for the average Md'r but a double whammy for guys who use hearing aids. Not sure if I ask you this before, what part of SW Pa are you located / Do you ever get up to hunt the old parks in Pittsburgh ?

Mark...I am from the Johnstown area and while I have never hunted the  Pittsburgh parks, I plan on doing some detecting in the Fox Chapel area as I have relatives there

buetooth LE is an industry standard and the LC3 codec is the latest and greatest low latency codec utilized by BT LE.  But manufacturers can choose whether or not to make their BT LE devices compatible with third parties.  Minelab has intentionally chosen not have their Bluetooth LE audio devices connect with 3rd party devices, so even though 3rd party Bluetooth LE devices with the LC3 codec are starting to appear on the marketplace, none of them will be compatible with the ML detector Bluetooth LE transmitters.

Quote from Chase