Manticore V Gp3500 (round 1)

You might get more depth with the 11" coil as it would see less ground.

I suspect the depth would be reduced in soild dirt rather than crushed ironstone, but I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. LOL

In you text you said the ring was 8" but on the video I thought I heard you say 6". I may have heard that wrong.

1 hour ago, abenson said:

In you text you said the ring was 8" but on the video I thought I heard you say 6"

Sorry.......6" of material and the coil about 2" above the surface. Also kept he Sensitivity very conservative at 13......15 hits it hard but with some more ground noise.

It was pleasing that along with a workable threshold, there were no screen falsing (2D traces or ID numbers)

• Like 3

Twenty inches is impressive on a air test. As time goes by keep us informed on how it does on the open beach, than.. once you get deep in the saltwater. I'm mostly interested in how it does in semi-rough saltwater submerged. 

I would love to find a machine that could do double duty, replacing the AQ and Excalibur in the water. Deep and have discrimination as a opp.

5 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Twenty inches is impressive on a air test

Hello Joe,

It is very impressive but I'm sure it won't translate into that depth on the beach........I'd love to get 18" (my test gold ring) in buried damp/wet beach sand. At this stage, it is my main beach detector but any true water work will still likely be the Excalibur and old Sea Hunter.

• Like 2

Tony,

Did you get a nonferrous response (ID number or trace) when you turned down the sensitivity to 10? In other words would you be essentially digging everything? Thanks!

18 minutes ago, BigSkyGuy said:

Tony,

Did you get a nonferrous response (ID number or trace) when you turned down the sensitivity to 10? In other words would you be essentially digging everything? Thanks!

I was getting a non ferrous response on the ring at around 13 Sensitivity......numbers were a bit jumpy when swinging over the ring. So based on this, definitely not digging everything. I'll try the test again because I can't recall the trace position. Give me an hour or so and I'll get back to you.

• Thanks 1

I have made a rough video and I'll upload it soon.

Essentially:

Sensitivity at 10 shows consistent Non ferrous numbers in the 90's but no trace.

Sensitivity at 13 shows mainly Non ferrous numbers in the 90's and the occasional red numbers in the 50's BUT a nice round trace appears smack on the line at the far right. Red numbers minimised once the coil is centred over the target.

I think the target audio is reasonably satisfying.

PS.....At the beginning of the video, I mention no 2D trace at 13....sorry this is incorrect.

Towards the end of the video, if you pause the video then you can see the 2D trace on the line at the far right.

I know I live downunder but the video is upside down and I'm no Youtube guru to try and fix it.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2024 at 3:08 AM, Tony said:

Hello Joe,

It is very impressive but I'm sure it won't translate into that depth on the beach........I'd love to get 18" (my test gold ring) in buried damp/wet beach sand. At this stage, it is my main beach detector but any true water work will still likely be the Excalibur and old Sea Hunter.

If EMI is low, M11, Dankowski set-up, I'm sure you'll get it. Sure

• 2 months later...

Finally managed to do the beach tests with the Manticore (M15) and GP3500 (14" DD).

Manticore: Hit the buried ring at 17"-18" (no peripheral falsing with Sensitivity at 22 / Recovery at 4). Beach Deep and Beach LC were very similar in performance.

GP3500: 16"-17"

Depth result: Draw (Essentially)

No point in using the GP3500 on white sand beaches when the Manticore just pips it for depth and can handle submersion and salt/sand spray.

22 Sensitivity was the Goldilocks settings....great depth and no falsing in damp beach sand (not saturated). Sensitivity of 23 just started to create falsing.....the target hits louder but this doesn't translate to deeper because the falsing offsets any gains. Stopping the sensitivity whenever falsing begins is what it's all about.....you're after soft deep signals and sure as heck you wont be digging all those false signals if you're running the machine too hot.

• Like 6