Benefits Of Controversy

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a few hours going back over some of the ground where the Versa previously found some additional targets with Disc set at 0, this time in 1 Tone, Disc at -5.  I found a fair number of additional non ferrous targets with these settings including a fire damaged Wheat Cent & very small pieces of a plated watch bezel. The area is a carpet of small to mid size iron at 3-7 inches depth. I was not bothered by any additional tendency to dig unknown iron with Disc at -5. In fact, I don't think I dug any iron by accident. The brass harness buckle with the very corroded iron pin still attached is a good target in my book, as is the shirt size iron backed brass button I dug.  This is really no different than running the Legend in 2 tone with the first tone break at 7. It works very well.   Still more to learn & find.

• Like 2

I think you have very good thoughts, no person can be an expert of a given detector that has only a few days in hand, and does not even know well how the basic functions and settings of the detector work.

Even a field tester of a given brand of detector needs significantly more time to become an expert of the given detector that he tests ... as well as compares the practical detection results with other detectors available for checking the detection results...
and true detection in the field will show how many targets and what targets the given detector can detect.

...It is also a surprise..that some "experienced American testers" do not know how the detector works from the negative scales of the VDI identification target..which was the domain of the American detectors of the Whites brand...how to use such a negative discrimination setting for better detection of non-ferrous metals target... where for some experienced detectorists it is a normal everyday practice...

Another surprise is that they cannot find out what is the real limit of discrimination between VDI iron targets / VDI non-iron targets using a simple air test with a CD.

this test procedure with a CD disc is very often used to calibrate the discrimination of the detector, or verify the correctness of the set discrimination of the detector.

It might surprise someone that Deus 2 will have VDI 25-27,,, and Nokta legends will have VDI 11, so the position of the lower discrimination setting or tone break is actually also the use of "negative discrimination" in favor of better detection and separation of targets.

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

I knew a CD would respond the same as Coke but never thought to use it as a standard for Fe/non Fe. I thought it would fall as a very low conductive target but I had not considered it also has tiny magnetic particles embedded in it.

• Like 1

JCR..The CD disk shows where the exact border of iron / non-ferrous metals is... and the CD disk already has something like VDI 0-1 in the zone of non-ferrous objects ..

...yes, another good test with the help of a CD is a test of the detector or detector programs for resistance to conductive or salty terrain...
I invented a 2-stage test procedure myself... using a CD and a DVD-R disc for a two-stage Analysis of a detector or a detector program from the point of view of work on a conductive field...

Atrex Multfrequency  .. for  conductive  terain..-the detector on this program does not see the CD, but the DVD-R is visible even at a very short distance.

IMG_20220205_154944 (1).jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for comparison, let's take the ATREX at 1 frequency of 15 khz - the detector sees the CD disc already from a long distance... and the DVD-R disc can see much further than the CD disc...

IMG_20220205_160005.jpg

• Like 4

Now to the VERSA ... I myself go from the Versa to the multi-frequency Low conductor setting - Park program, discrimination -3,, on my edited multi-tone audio profile USER1, which proved very good for me when identifying non-ferrous targets where I can hear very well how conductive they are these targets...as well as I know very well how to identify potential iron targets that I avoid and don't dig

You can print the result of the detection on this picture, which shows all the targets that I dug up in the detection... and you can also see the ratio of non-iron targets to iron targets...only 3 iron targets, of which 2 bottle caps and one forged small nail with a large head.
In this type of detection where I focus on the detection of old hammered coins.. I usually dig only targets that have 18 VDI/can be 1/4 cut hammered coins// and higher VDI. where there can be potential old coin targets..

IMG_20240124_131646.jpg

SAVE_20240126_243024.jpg

• Like 2

What is the significance of the DVD-R?

When testing the detectors, I found that the DVD-R disc is significantly more visible to the detectors than the CD disc... so if there is a detector program that has a built-in conductivity elimination, then even if the CD disc is no longer detected... so with the help of an air test with a DVD-R disc, I can determine how strong the elimination of conductivity is on the given program..:wink:

IMG_20220205_152857.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

...It is also a surprise..that some "experienced American testers" do not know how the detector works from the negative scales of the VDI identification target..which was the domain of the American detectors of the Whites brand...how to use such a negative discrimination setting for better detection of non-ferrous metals target... where for some experienced detectorists it is a normal everyday practice...

No surprise at all. Job one is to attract eyeballs by either being entertaining or being controversial. Being first also beat being right. Being knowledgeable is low on the list when it comes to getting an audience. Some of the most ignorant people making the wildest claims can attract the widest audiences in this day and age.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

New User, Saying Hi All. 🫣

The “eyeballs I attracted” with my Versa videos were also from RUTUS. When the testing videos can help the end user make a decision (potentially saving them money, or moving ahead with a purchase) and equally important a company moving ahead with an update based on my findings.. Those are the only views I am looking for. 

*The next Versa update is already in the works.

Take Care, Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1