The Nox 18’’ Coil Verses Its Little Cousins..

2 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

While I can see the large coil missing a low-conductive target, I didn’t expect to see the smaller coils missing high-conductive targets.. What voodoo is at work here?  

The reason that it will do that on a regular basis is the way you cross your eyes while drink a beer while swinging the coil from the left to the right.

You may try to swing from the right to the left to compensate for the problem.

Good luck with your new coil and may the detector god's be kind to you.

• Haha 1

13" is the biggest coil I regularly use on any of my detectors & I use them often. Not only for the added depth(which they can give)but also because they will hit coins on edge & some masked targets smaller coils miss. I suppose it has something to do with the angles of the Tx/Rx field lines.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JCR said:

13" is the biggest coil I regularly use on any of my detectors & I use them often. Not only for the added depth(which they can give)but also because they will hit coins on edge & some masked targets smaller coils miss. I suppose it has something to do with the angles of the Tx/Rx field lines.

When I start hitting targets that I can't reach with another coil I always start to wonder what else I've missed.. The smaller coils missing several high-conductive targets still has me freaked out.. 

• Like 2

I suppose that is why it’s called hunting not collecting.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the very helpful info, esp on the 18" coil.

I have a 17" coil on my CTX 3030 I've had for 8-9 yrs and the whole thing weighs more than 6 lbs (slightly less than 3 kgs) limiting use, now.

I have run the 15" coil on my 4 (2 drowned) Equinox 800s for 4-5 yrs and I'm very happy with stats showing I find 11% more coins compared to the 11" standard coil.

Just received the 15" coil for my Manticore.  I found the Manticore difficult to use with the standard 11" coil (large coils have spoiled me in the ocean).

This is the first I have read of an 18" coil for the 800/900, so very interested in a Dealer in the USA.  Any suggestions?

Happy Hunting

• Like 1