Not All Gold Tells The Truth

The video shows how the 1 gram .999 pure gold bar signals high low when flat, but then signals low high when on its side. 

The pictures show a flat .999 pure 1/2 grain piece of gold, and a 1.1 grain Nevada Placer flake. My atx will pick up the 1/2 grain .999 at an inch in an air test on sensitivity level 10 easily.  It however will not pick up the 1.1 grain Placer gold at all, even on max 13 sensitivity.   Just thought I'd share this example of how gold size, shape and purity can make all the difference when detecting.  I have no doubt many of you know this already, but I'm sure many on here may not.  This was done with the Garrett ATX.

20240201_174821.jpg

• Like 1

Try a better detector. Garret was top dog in 1980, but things have changed since then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

Try a better detector.

Please let me know what vendor you buy it from, and I'll give them my shipping info. 😁

I found a lot of gold using a Deep Seeker in the early eighties, but when I discovered a better machine I naturally made the change. Proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I will always use the best available regardless of brand. Even if the best detector was made in North Korea I would have no qualms about buying one as soon as I could get my hands on it.

As a matter of fact I have used an ATX and was quite happy to give it back to the guy I had borrowed it from.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

I found a lot of gold using a Deep Seeker in the early eighties, but when I discovered a better machine I naturally made the change. Proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I will always use the best available regardless of brand. Even if the best detector was made in North Korea I would have no qualms about buying one as soon as I could get my hands on it.

As a matter of fact I have used an ATX and was quite happy to give it back to the guy I had borrowed it from.

If I made my living off of the gold I find, I would use the best equipment I could. Since that is not the case, I'm happy with the detectors I own. This post is not about the detector however, it is about how different shape, sizes, and purity of gold can react to any detector in different ways.  I'm sorry you dropped your ATX on your toe. That must have hurt! I now understand your bias against it.   Cheers 🙂

• Like 1

I try to dig everything because of what you’re describing with different target sounds, have missed some nice bits do to thinking it was rubbish at first.

• Like 5

Basically, it is about 2 tested targets with different time constants, so the lighter 0.5 grain .. but the larger target produces a higher time response and is therefore easier to detect for ATX..
  This 1.1 grain nugget, from the point of view of its smaller size as well as its shape and gold content, may have a smaller time constant - beyond the possibility of ATX detection..
If you want to detect extra fine targets with ATX - you have to increase the sensitivity of the detector as well as set the threshold high to the value of 12-12.5 .. on this detector because a really high threshold setting will allow you to hear very small targets...ATX with a small 3X7" infinium coil can hit the finest targets even further than a 10x12 DD ATX coil.-/0.01 gram gold/..

...you can also notice that small and flattened lead shot number 9 are not detected, because the lead alloy has a significantly lower time constant than pure 24k gold...

ATX 12x10" DOD coil..

IMG_20220502_183433.thumb.jpg.6b7909ab045a9ae01bce7b67e8ebda96.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATX with a small 3X7" infinium coil can hit the finest targets/0.01gram gold/ even further than a 10x12 DD ATX coil...

IMG_20220526_090711 (1).jpg

• Like 4

This is what I’m finding with the 7000 + X-Coils too. I’ve been working in Difficult (smoothing off) to remove some of the sensitivity to hot rocks and upping the sensitivity to max so it runs super noisy, then raise the threshold to clean up the variability in the audio. This can mean running as high as the 35 to smooth things out, but mostly around 30. The high threshold itself still rises/falls over tiny targets, usually with a longer/different response than the surrounding ground-noise signal. I’m consistently hitting specs between 0.01 - 0.02g this way, some of them on edge in shale bedrock. My gold finds have markedly increased with this approach over using Normal at reduced sensitivity, as it cuts through the ground noise better. It sounds like the ATX might be similar in this respect.

(…sometimes when the ground is too variable for Difficult I’ve been pushing the machine into Severe with the same high-threshold approach and can still pull the tiny stuff. Severe is a much underutilized timing on the 7000, but I’ve found it can still be super sensitive to tiny specs when coupled with a small X-Coils coil.)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

Basically, it is about 2 tested targets with different time constants, so the lighter 0.5 grain .. but the larger target produces a higher time response and is therefore easier to detect for ATX..
  This 1.1 grain nugget, from the point of view of its smaller size as well as its shape and gold content, may have a smaller time constant - beyond the possibility of ATX detection..
If you want to detect extra fine targets with ATX - you have to increase the sensitivity of the detector as well as set the threshold high to the value of 12-12.5 .. on this detector because a really high threshold setting will allow you to hear very small targets...ATX with a small 3X7" infinium coil can hit the finest targets even further than a 10x12 DD ATX coil.-/0.01 gram gold/..

...you can also notice that small and flattened lead shot number 9 are not detected, because the lead alloy has a significantly lower time constant than pure 24k gold...

ATX 12x10" DOD coil..

IMG_20220502_183433.thumb.jpg.6b7909ab045a9ae01bce7b67e8ebda96.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATX with a small 3X7" infinium coil can hit the finest targets/0.01gram gold/ even further than a 10x12 DD ATX coil...

IMG_20220526_090711 (1).jpg

Very informative input on the ATX. Now I'm kicking myself in the butt for selling my infinium 3x7 to DanK lol. I will definitely play around with your settings to see how it does. Now if you have the solution to the coil noise so I can drag my coil on the ground at higher sensitivity,  I'd have to buy you a beer for sure. Thanks for your input. I learn alot from everyone on this forum for sure.

• Like 1