Just found this reference to “graphite” in one of Jim Straight’s book on prospecting & detecting,  “…some highly metamorphosed schist containing graphite…can act as electrically conductive material.”  Graphite is carbon. A google check confirmed the electrical conductivity of graphite. After passing some graphite removed from a drafting pencil over a Legend coil sure enough TID 11 (LG24, Park,M1). Iron Pyrite can also occur in schist. 

• Like 2

I will dig a Graphite stick out of an old battery now & then on relic sites.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JCR said:

stick out of an old battery

Yeah, I was thinking about that just this morning. The cylinder 6 volt batteries had a center graphite core connected a terminal. That probably got through my filters since the old placer miners didn’t have batteries. Need to look up more often. Graphite may explain schist type hot rocks. 

Here in the UK, we occasionally dig up the carbon rods from carbon arc lamps. They are quite large, about 0.5 inch / 12mm diameter, lengths 2 to 4 inches / 50 - 100mm. One of mine was marked with the German manufacturers name, which is how I identified it. I presume the lamps were being used out in the fields, so harvesting etc could continue after dark ... though it's possible they were simply dumped there, along with every other kind of rubbish. But they do give a good signal.

• Like 2