Detected - Vaseline And Indian Head

Long time no talk! 
I was detecting the site of a mining camp out in the desert, hoping for coins or tokens and did manage to find my first old coin. This 1907 Indian head penny! Exciting for me. But excitement lay only a couple inches from it in another hole where I found this Vaseline jar with the lid still on! It reads,

”Vaseline” Chesebrough New-York

Im horrible at finding information about old glass on the internet so I was wondering if anyone here might know something about it or be able to point me to sharp resources. 

Thanks a lot!

IMG_1835.thumb.jpeg.f97b59a37f32b8fbfa2057cccb647c00.jpegIMG_1832.thumb.jpeg.5953f81c08b3421063c6f674310029ff.jpegIMG_1834.thumb.jpeg.719097116a68de5dac04a33a7b714d5f.jpegIMG_1833.thumb.jpeg.ff3b7c8638c0e73ca36711c6deb46680.jpeg

I’ll throw the photo of the camp site in later.

Thanks for the info, GS! Do you think the 1907 penny would be accurately indicative of the period? It’s in exceptionally good condition. The camp site seemed somewhat small so perhaps not used for long. There are only about 3-4 leveled off areas for tents and what could have been some sort of wood deck? Didn’t seem like enough wood for a whole shack.

40 minutes ago, nebulanoodle said:

Thanks for the info, GS! Do you think the 1907 penny would be accurately indicative of the period? It’s in exceptionally good condition. The camp site seemed somewhat small so perhaps not used for long. There are only about 3-4 leveled off areas for tents and what could have been some sort of wood deck? Didn’t seem like enough wood for a whole shack.

Yes I would say the penny could date the jar which were just starting to come into use by that date, if so it would be one of the first "threaded" jars made, it seems the earliest ones were possibly made around 1906 but first advertised in 1908.....BUT the jar could be and most likely would be of a later date depending on how long the site was used.

That penny could of been 10 or more years old when lost, or lost in 1907.

Here's another link on Vaseline jars and their history.

https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/Vaseline2015.pdf

Just what were those miners doing with a jar like that?

Strange people for sure.

Nice old finds for real and wish you better luck on your next hunt.